Why do men have nipples?

anyone know why god gave men tits? they dont seem to serve any function.They get in my way when I shave my chest hair :frowning:

God just created Men that way. Why is not a hot button issue.

So that they have a place to put their nipple rings. :slight_smile:

It’s easier to just let men have them than to set up complex genetic switches that would prevent them from developing.

Incidentally, they can be made fully-functional (with all that entails) if female hormones are present. All the machinery is there but it doesn’t develop without the hormones. There have been some (not completely reliable) reports of men capable of providing milk, as crazy as that sounds.

Wouldn’t it freak you out if you saw a guy without them?

I thought so. O.o

Nipples on male mammals
Starting at conception and lasting until about 14 weeks, all mammalian fetuses within the same species look the same, regardless of sex. After 14 weeks, genetically-male fetuses begin producing male hormones such as testosterone. As “female” is the “developmental default” for mammals, by 14 weeks the nipples have already formed. In recent studies, doctors have found female nipples to be erect in the fetal stage of mammals, as well as other forms of arousal.[citation needed]
Most of the time, males’ nipples don’t change much past this point. However, some males develop a condition known as gynecomastia, in which the fatty tissue around and under the nipple develops into something similar to a female breast. For males who develop gynecomastia during puberty, it is said the effects are temporary unless they are obese. This may happen whenever the testosterone level drops because of medications.

Wouldn’t it freak you out if you saw a guy without them?

I thought so. O.o

Ditto :slight_smile: .

Well I’ve heard /read that all babies ‘start off’ as a girl in the womb. At a perticular stage in the babie’s development, the penis etc… is formed.

So I’d assume that bodily wise, we use the same ‘basic container’

We all start as girls pretty much. Then we grow junk.

There’s a really good book called “Why do men have nipples”, it answers this, and many other questions that are weird ones.

It’s something for school bullies to twist…

Or focus sunlight on (they’ve actually done that once on a Japanese game show according to a Bathroom reader)

(lol)

Yes, estrogen will make nipples develop further… it worked for me! :slight_smile: I did occasionally notice a small amount of clear liquid secreted during my first couple years on estrogen… but that went away. Incidentally, high estrogen also tends to make your nipples hurt!

Real lactation generally requires prolactin, which endocrinologists generally don’t prescribe for safety reasons, but men can wind up with prolactin issues, too… see Hyperprolactinaemia.

Personally, I prefer soy milk… :smiley:

because you touch yourself at night!

Cor interesting stuff. Not for the faint hearted.

what I really want to know is, what’s up with the missing rib?

Its a myth.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Courses/bio105/ribs.htm

Cheers,
Briggs

re-using the same basemesh speeds up workflow, god was working to a tight schedule you know.

Well the real answer requires blasphemy and may get the thread locked.

You see, if you assume God made us then you have no explanation of the weirdness of life other than “God did it, so deal with it, okay?” Everything is easily explained when you have God to fall back on because every contradiction or conundrum is washed away when you satisfy yourself that God made it that way. That’s not a put-down, just an observation.

WARNING:
Biological references to naughty bits follows…

However, if you go to the science of it, you’ll find biology has more than explained how it all works. For example, women have a penis, men have ovaries, we all have tails and so on. It’s just that these parts are developed differently in either gender so men’s nipples become redundant, their ovaries drop to become testes and women’s penises shrink to become a clitoris and our testes become their ovaries. Both genders lose their tail completely. in other words, we start out basically the same but head in different directions as the foetus matures from around the eighth week. And all because of one chromosome.*

Some people are literally born with both male and female parts (intersex) because the in-utero change to enforce one or other set of reproductive organs fails to occur.

Although, I do like Zenitor’s answer. :slight_smile:

*Disclaimer: I’m not a biologist.

Dont they call women with penises transvestites?

Only after there out of the womb, there Mmph!, only after.

so that you know when it’s cold out. (: