Why do my character's faces always look elongated?

For some reason, whenever I try to copy from hand drawing to blender I get an abnormally elongated “snout”. Below is an example of the rendered product.

I’m wondering if anyone has an idea for how I can avoid that? Basically the “front view” is the reference, the “side view” is more a guide than anything, however should be mostly accurate aside from the height. Below is a drawing of the sample image (note: side view is a quick sketch used as only a basic reference)

I need to make the face “flatter”, but don’t know how to do that in a way that is visually acceptable. Is my reference image maybe causing that or am I making a fundamental error in recreating the geometry?

Any advice is appreciated. Below is the blend file.

HeadAttempt_nl.blend (672 KB)

First of all, this should belong in the Support section, not the Artwork/WIP section.

Part of the cause behind this may be a result of you viewing it with the default perspective camera, which can heavily distort features depending on it’s angle. However, even in orthographic view, the problem still exists.

The answer is fairly simple, the snout is long simply because you modeled it long. It seems here that your only reference is a sketch drawn by hand. There are many inconsistencies between your front and side views (height and size of the eyes, nose, overall size of the head, etc) that can affect your final result of your modeling as well as some anatomical accuracies like the slope of the chin in the side view. You should probably look up more references on the internet before modeling something so you can have a better sense of accurate and consistent proportions.

Your style of drawing (like mine) has very little perspective so its hard to model. Too help with that, if you add a layer in gimp or photoshop and draw a grayscale layer indicating where the volumes are it can clarify the shape you want.

@Omnilord: I didn’t realize this was the wrong section to post in… sorry. I was modeling with the orthographic view which seems to give decent results, however when I render in the perspective view the issue becomes prominant.

@marcus: good idea for the use of visual queues to indicate volume… that might help.

Thanks.

^No problem, it’s not really that big an issue anyways.

Another thing that I left out is to try drawing a 3/4 view, an angle that lies halfway in between the front and side view. It should help you get a better sense of depth and volume than only two angles alone. Just because something can look good from the front and side doesn’t mean that every other angle will be fine as well.

Moved from “Artwork > Works in Progress” to “Support > Modeling”

Take a look at your model from top or bottom view. There you see you modelled a triangle shape for the cheeks, it should be more like a circle. If you go to top view, grab your model by the cheek using proportional editing, and pull the cheek out so the shape becomes more circular, it will be much better (not perfect still, that needs more tweaking).

Instead of using one viewport and switching between views, try to model using 3 or 4 views always visible, that helps. Side and front with the references, a perspective or orthographic view where you see how it comes along and where you constantly tweak the shape, and perhaps a top view. That way, when you move an eye vertex in the front view for example, you’ll be able to see immediately if you’re in the eye region in the side view too, and if the general shape in the user view looks right.
View menu > Toggle quad view, or pull in the views by hand (I prefer the latter method).

It doesn’t matter that the references aren’t perfect (they seldom are, even professional ones), you just need to be aware of it and correct it in 3D.

Alright, so it would seem that drawing an extra view (3/4 view) and referencing the top view during construction was very helpful. Below is the result:

Thanks all!