Why do normal BGE games not work properly in UPBGE?

I’ve been using the normal 2.79 BGE for one of my biggest projects for a while now. I started working on it long before I knew about UPBGE and I now know it holds a lot more capabilities than the standard BGE.

I’ve wanted to bring my game over to UPBGE but I have noticed that there are many issues to do with animations. Why does this happen? What would I need to do to fix this?

I am not 100% sure if things were fixed in upbge (correct behavior) or broken.

can you post a video of what is happening in upbge vs bge?

your logic?

There’s a lot of logic bricks so it would be easier to summarize the issues I’ve found.

BGE:
Animations on armatures blend between each other correctly. Works like an armature should.
I am able to change the colour of the sky using World options.

UPBGE:
Animations on the armature still work but no longer blend between each other, they just freeze at their last frame.
I can’t animate the sky colour anymore. I completely re-did the animation for it and it still doesn’t work at all.

I read up somewhere that changing the layer to 1 on the animation actuator fixes the bug, but that does nothing. I must have read that wrong, not sure.

With python, you can use scene.world.horizonColor (or zenithColor) to change sky tone. It’s bit of a bummer because it’d obviously be simpler to just keyframe it rather than having to math your way into a color transition via code, but oh well.

Armature animations not blending into one another, on the other hand, should not happen; I don’t think I’ve had this issue. What’s your setup like?

This is indeed true, i have/had the same problem, needed to redo all my animations.

in upbge - I think there is some sort of checkbox somewhere, ‘static sky uniform’ or something.

still digging.

edit - “constant values”

bottom right corner.

I have that option unchecked already. Tried checked and unchecked and it still doesn’t work (world animation).

I recently came back to this after a break and I have resolved my issues.

The animation blending in UPBGE must be different since I fixed the issue by changing the to separate layers on all the different animations, which removes the need to re-animate.

The World colour animations don’t work due to shadows being in the scene. This is an issue with normal BGE too but my work-around to this has been to remove the Sun (with shadows) light and bring it back into the scene once the World animation has been completed. For some reason, this doesn’t work in UPBGE but after disabling shadows, the World animations work perfectly.

A little late, but yes I tried last using a UPBGE version, it didn’t work out with my files, so sadly I couldn’t use it.

I don’t think there is a single answer to any problems with it, I guess there would be some, since they are going to be differences.