Why does it take so much time for a program to be built ?

I was just wondering, why does it take so much time to build a program ?

I look at all of these programs out in the net and some take near a year to build, and sometimes it turns out to be a waist of a program. With weak features and poor ideas.

While some can just build something that wows and gives super power for it’s craft.

Is it a form of art ?

Blender is great, but when compared to some other programs with a certain feature for say modeling blender pales in comparision. But it tends to just be one feature that defeats Blender not the entire fold.

But Blender has a constant flow of new updates big or small, while the closed house stuff waits a year to release a few new features.

Is their no common libary to build from ? Like basic code for extruding and moving a vertex around. Or is it all created from scratch? But I see that every coder mostly tends to wait for somebody elses code to be released before they try building the feature. Like Solid for example. The devs were slowly rebuilding the frame work that was missing for Solid while it was closed, but as soon as it was released the solid was accepeted back into the fold, though it is still not working yet.

I just need to know this stuff before ask for another feature request in the boards. Are my ideas ever possible ?

I do not want low techy stuff, I want dynamic freaky stuff that creates art without your constant time to ‘get it perfectly right’ . But is my next idea just going to another wash and a waist of my time to build?

I want to know. Please help …

^v^

Yes, coding is a form of art.

Can’t say more about it because you’ll have to experience it all by yourself, so go on and try creating your own program.

Next year you’ll know why it takes so long. :wink:

Holy Trout :o

I know absolutely nothing about programming and very little about computers in general. The way I see it though, programming is easy if you know how, it’s getting the display to work with the keyboard and the memory and the materials, animation, render, save, transform… every time you use it on all the OS’s, versions, Vid cards…

Nightmares. I bow down to those who can.

%<

Okay, Then what about team work over the internet. How does that fit together. Is it real ? I know of the helpful IRC channels. But is that enough ?
Or does a face to face team need to be created to create great features.
Is most of the programer crew sollitary at thier programing art form ? Or is thier unity

it’s funny how you think a ‘face to face’ team would create a better product. Most of the time, even at Microcrash or apple, the programers only talk via office memos, letters and inter-office email. A team of say 2 programers are given the task of making a defrag utility, another 2 programers are given the job of creating the interface for that utility … are they in the same office? Maybe a cubical apart, but teams could be on a different floor, or even a different office building altogether. So in reality, it’s no different then the way things are being approached by Ton and all the other coders. I think they are aproaching much better IMO.

hmmm , oh well oh well.
He we go again for another try at getting an idea into the air
:smiley:
Thankyou all. I learned a bit more.

If you want to learn more, try programming. It’s a fun, good thing to do with your time and you’ll learn more about all the things you use and you won’t take them for granted anymore. :wink:
You’ll also learn why it takes 1+ years for a single program. Most commercial programs are thousands and THOUSANDS of lines long.

What ? Not millions ?
:smiley:

billions and more

Martin

Well, of course if we’re talking about a major application like an operating system.

It’s an art and a science. You need the science to know what you are doing, but won’t acheive anything without art.

In fact, the best reference for general algorythmic is called “The art of programming”, and its author (R. Knuth) has written one of the very few program completly bug-free (TeX).

Blender is great, but when compared to some other programs with a certain feature for say modeling blender pales in comparision. But it tends to just be one feature that defeats Blender not the entire fold.

But Blender has a constant flow of new updates big or small, while the closed house stuff waits a year to release a few new features.

Is their no common libary to build from ? Like basic code for extruding and moving a vertex around. Or is it all created from scratch?

When you know there is thousand of programming languages each with its advantages, you will easily understand these programs use different libraries. Utilities library exist and are used so that you dont have to reinvent the wheel each time, but in typical program, lib calls are only a small percentage of the total work (except for the graphical user interface).

What is common is the underlying maths, but you need to adapt it to your data design each time. And that where the real art is, designing the architecture

In any case, making a program is a mighty work, and you count in thousand of lines written.