Why does this happen when I split verts on a subdivided plane?

So I’m trying to make a skirt, although it’s sort of like a denim skirt.
My issue is trying to make the part where you’d have a button and opening

I have subdivision modifier enabled, although I feel like the problem is that it’s because it’s not a solid geometry, or is it something else?

I tried what might’ve been wrong by adding solidify modifier but its still… poking out

what can I do to avoid this distortion? Or is this just how it’ll behave and no way around it?

a way better description on my reddit but because i can’t post all the images of my errors

https://www.reddit.com/r/blenderhelp/comments/roh21i/why_does_this_happen_when_i_split_verts_on_a/

That reddit post answers your question nicely.

Hi there!

Modelling does not always need to follow the logic of reality, but it’s almost always needed for a coherent solution.
If you want to model a skirt, check the sewing pattern of a real one. Seriously :grin:
These pant-like zippers are sewn under an overlapping piece of textile (hidden ones may not but these jeans-like yes). Check the pictures in this tutorial, or a similar one:

As you can see, the zippers are actually under an overlapping piece of textile, with a separately cut cover under that.

So what you can also do is to grab the top of the cut part and extrude it behind the first one. Add a very thin solidify modifier, optional, but may help realism, and create edge loops to stiffen the subdiv. The outside zip cover you may also solve beveling a vertex or sth like that.

If you even want to go further, you can actually wrap the textile around a simple mannequin shape like a modified cylinder. You can use a curve modifier for example. Then add clothes physics.

For a hidden zipper, you would actually need a cylinder with no cut, as the fabric is sewn all the way up together, cut not only at the zipper, it’s just merely added in there on the go:

This way, the subdiv will be literally no issue since the modelling follows the real cut of the garment. You can add the zipper below, then expose it a bit and stiffen the subdiv with edge loops.

For these cases I may apply subdiv then add a new one but would not mark anything sharp as it may hurt the evenness of the modelling.

It may be too much, but I just wanted to give you some ideas on the method of approaching the topic. I hope it helps :blush:

Happy holidays!

1 Like