Why don't my armatures work?

I’m busy making a game with a humanoid figure in it that I need to animate. I’ve used armatures and an Ipo actuator but it just doesn’t want to work. I’ve also tried baking the actions to ipo keys but it still doesn’t work.

Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong or how they animate their characters?

Hello

here’s some tuts that may help you:

http://otothecleaner.free.fr/tutorials/LittleOTO/littleoto1/otolittle1.html

Bye and keep Blending

:-? Why’d you choose that nick. Now you’ll be supern00b for the whole time here on elysiun. You won’t be a newbie forever.

Hmm, this is more of an animation question. You should read through the whole blender manual for the basic stuff (includes armatures). It goes into a buch of stuff about creating a mesh, naming bones, creating groups with the same names as the bones, and parenting the mesh to the armatures. For a fairly quick tut, Oto’s should do fine.

Jason Lin

simple, because no one has coded it into blender yet. Ther is only one coder on the board for the game engine, so it may be a LONG time till armatures get on game engine, till then you have to bake the IPOs

:frowning:

:-? Am I mistaken here? Or am I just not understanding the question right. You don’t have to bake actions. If a character is animated all you have to do is use the Action Actuator and select which action you want to play.

Jason Lin

simple, because no one has coded it into blender yet. Ther is only one coder on the board for the game engine, so it may be a LONG time till armatures get on game engine, till then you have to bake the IPOs

Of course you can use armatures in the game engine, apparently you know nothing about the game engine…have you even used it before? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the help guys.

Why’d you choose that nick. Now you’ll be supern00b for the whole time here on elysiun. You won’t be a newbie forever.

In one way or another I will always be a newbie.

Hello

here’s some tuts that may help you:

http://otothecleaner.free.fr/tutorials/LittleOTO/littleoto1/otolittle1.html

Thanks for the awesome tute OTO :smiley:

Am I mistaken here? Or am I just not understanding the question right. You don’t have to bake actions. If a character is animated all you have to do is use the Action Actuator and select which action you want to play

Action actuator? wtf? I’ve got Blender 2.33 and I don’t see and action actuator, please explain.

that’s correct

to animate armatures there are two kinds of animations, actions, and ipos
[NLA is a combination of actions and isn’t supported by the game engine]

an ipo has the usual location/rotation/size…

an action has the animation for every bone

and they are named

and you can blend them together

and…

yeah, so with your armature selected, in the gamelogic buttons add an actuator, and change it to the action type [it’s there]

type in the name of your action, set other properties [the ones also in the ipo actuator act the same as the ones in the ipo actuator]… yeah, that is pretty much it [except for the usual logicbrick stuff with pulses and things]

Oh, sorry, my bad…I thought that the list of sensors, controllers actuators etc. was universal, I didn’t know it changed with the object type, so when I looked at the actuators and didn’t see action I was confused.