Why d'you always take care about CGTALK?

Yeah, but he’s only doing some stuff for background computer screens. I don’t mean that as an attack on him, just that it doesn’t really count as state of the art. Even the fact Blender was used in the pre-viz for Spiderman wasn’t that impressive because pre-viz sequences aren’t all that advanced and I’m sure that was before they had the animation recode so with the performance the way it used to be, I doubt they were doing anything too intense. Another thing you will find is that people who would use Blender for production level films won’t be using the Blender renderer, so to say Blender can be used for a feature film is sort of misleading. I’m sure that Wings is used in making feature films too as well as a coffee machine and a pencil. OK, not quite the same deal but my point is that Blender has a lot of fundamental things needing improved whereas the high-end apps generally don’t. You can do great things with Maya 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 6.5, 7. With Blender, you can only just do things adequately with version 2.4, which isn’t officially released yet.

At first, I thought Blender had massive potential and in many ways, I still do but the more I use it, the more I find pretty big problems. The main one recently is the Python API. I like the fact Blender uses a standard laguage instead of a custom one like Maya but Maya has a much more robust C-based plug-in architecture and a scripting language that actually works as you expect. The strength of the high-end apps is not the ability to do things by themselves but the way they allow us to do things our way and produce anything we can imagine. With Blender, it’s more that you fit the art to what the software is capable of - in many ways that is true of all packages but it isn’t noticeable in more powerful software. The flexibility is lacking somewhat. I hope it will come soon but at this moment in time, it isn’t there yet.

Concerning the thing about CGTalk:

Maybe I’m wrong here but didn’t the stats show there were more children here than adults? To be honest though, I get tired of reading CGTalk threads with all their “cool pic man, worship emoticon” responses so maybe there are children there too. I hate having to trawl through 20+ pages of meaningless crap to see the wires.

The reason why people probably compare the sites is because of the artists who go there - I’m sure others will have pointed that out already. That works in favour of the site. If pros started coming here then that would change but I see that as very unlikely given the current state of Blender and also the fact this is a forum dedicated to one piece of software. Again, here the art is more a showcase for the software than for the artwork itself. There are very few good artists round here - probably why I feel at home. Some seem to think that posting a picture of spheres, giving it an incomprehensible name and defining it abstract constitutes art for example or someone posting a turd ice-cream or a detached pair of buttocks excreting diarrhea in a field of carrots. But sure, we should all just accept it all eh? Everyone’s a n00b. Well maybe that’s one reason why the comparisons happen because people over at CGTalk act with a bit more professionalism wrt CG as an artform.

Anyway, I would say the following could sum up why I think there are comparisons to CGTalk.

Blender under construction -> less professional interest -> less good art -> less general interest -> people comparing to CGTalk and trying to advertise Blender

From my experience with Cgtalk, The blender community always been in war with the pp in Cgtalks. Some of those “professionnals” are very stubborn, sometime very stupid or blind.
It’s very hard to get ackownledged as an opensource fan. As soon as they understand it’s opensource stuff, They run away. Look at blender work in CGTalk talk thread: so-so work labeled as blender get 1-2 reply, good looking piece where the artits really try to show something interesting and not mentionning the package used get replies until someone ask: what was that made with? Then the thread die.
I say It will be impossible to get a piece of artwork on front page of CGTalk, even if it was done by some on CGtotal (like sonix or Ecks), until they change their mind about OpenSource. This was a question we asked ourself a lot: why there is not even 1 Blender work on the front page? Maybe even the judges avec a sick feeling about opensource? Or maybe they can’t, bound by the “commercial environement” they are in? CGTalk get a lot of pushing from soft co, maybe they can’t promote any free software?
Anyway, just to show off some very weird looking discussion: Read that and tell me who is actually wrong. Blender fans, or CGTalker.

I think you are missing the whole point of integration and workflow. While Blender is a free Open Source application, you cannot compare it to professional tools like C4D, XSI, 3dsmax, etc, because well, it’s not production proven.

the number one thing that will keep blender meek and weak forever is the way it is built. There are only a handful of coders adding to it, they all have there own way of thinking and that conflicts with development speed. Other than that it is trying to gain new features or rework old features. It still needs lots of developers to add and change it, but when someone tries a lot of times plans fail due to lack of time and knowledgement of the feature project…

It also has a bad rep for being way behind the times. But not all is bad, it is still free and if you really try and get past bugs, slow interface workflow, hotkeys and lack of, missing speed up features… you can still get some nice pictures out of it…

That sir, is what we call a shite interface.

My idea is that we are both doing some wrongs moves. That’s what the war between blender community and CGtalk is all about.

To tell you the truth I never thought I would touch Blender in my life. I was a Maya Hardcore modeller. I thought Maya was THE 3D application.
But ever sens I changed to blender I don’t look back. Cant believe I was so blind. Now everything on my comp is open source.

About cgtalk.
Well they have over 200 000 members. Out of them the majority have already chosen their software of use and they will never change either.
I´m gonna say this. To make the war end I have an solution. Let´s make rules.

*You shall not force people to go with blender. Its like religion, you don’t force it on people. Let them for themselves find it out.

*If you want people to download blender on cgtalk make sure that you post the blend file when you have an awesome rendered picture on the gallery. With a link to blender download page.

*If someone is talking about their favorite software’s new function (like hair) DO NOT say that Blender can do that to. Cause he´s gonna be very disappointed when he opens blender and do not know what magic buttons to press to make hair and liquid. Blender is very confusing in the beginning.

Very true, we sometime like to put some oil on the fire.

I haven’t checked this topic for a while, but after that clarification, I get!

I agree with you, blender is already established as capable of producing quality results, and people who psot on cgtalk should do it because they have the skill to not get flamed into oblivion, and want more intelligent crits than can be found here. (Hopefully that problem will someday be alleviated.)

I post on both forumsand intend to become a professional modeller/animator or texturer. I use blender currently and I do think I will eventually make front page. A lot of the topics at cgtalk are unoriginal, so if somethign really original comes along that is very well done and polished, it may just earn some recognition. Its all about the art for me, and I don’t think it matters what application you use. If your going to submit a portfolio of work to a animation studio, would you show them mediocre Maya work, or exceptional Blender work?

Cgtalk members often notice what’s wrong with my projects right away, and it really helps when someone has accurate crits. I can fix the problems much faster than. I also think there should be more 4-5 star blender topics, but for that we need more posters in the blender sections.

The one problem I see with a lot of elysiun users is that they are too impatient to abandon their projects. Art takes time and other artist will know if you rushed your work. Even the simple beveled words could be made into something exciting if you put the time into it.

There are stuborn people out there. That wont shift for anything different or new.

Blender matches up to the “professonal software” and in places surpaces.

But many people will reject Blender work merely on the fact it came from an open source project and therefore no way as good as the proprietry stuff.

It seems that many people at CGTalk are not very “Open” about different things.

It should be more crit on the artist work rather than what program he made it in.