Why is a light not like a light?

eh, just goes back to needing logical lights amd settings

Having a light and knowing how it works in real life would translate right to 3d in a UI sense

There are literally thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of potential light sources - and you insist Blender should make them all individually available? After all that’s been written, I think the above quote comes so close to trolling as to make this thread a pointless waste of time from here on.

As a matter of interest though youngbatcat, is there anything about Blender that you DO like?

Oh, come on now thats harsh. I still love blender. I just wish it had a faster light control.
This goes with all sorts of tweaks. I make money from Blender, but I lose a lot to. it’s as it is. I insulted nothingjust contantly curious is all

I think that Youngbobcat would like to have fast realtime raytracing in Blender. Maybe someday, but as for now as AetherGoth said “…Re-rendering is part of creating a piece of artwork…”.

I just think a good simi correct value of lights and amount of lights in scene before you ever hit render is half of the battle, much like drawing out story boards

feel free to move to another free software package with the power of blender plus your ‘incredible’ lighting setup options.

There is just no way to realistically implent this, with no way for detirmaning distance (in world units). If your having trouble getting a scene lit from render times and such, try turning off raytracing and all the other bells a whistles get the energy how you want it then start cranking up the settings from there. Part of learning blender is getting a good feel for how the light settings should be applied.

Amen
youngbatcat, listen to Fonix, oh grasshopper

Here it is after 22 hours of rendering. I may need to tweak it in picasa a bit to make it brighter, but you get the idea. The only light is a sun lamp.

So accurate lighting = long render times
faked lighting = shorter render times

Even so, I wouldn’t mind seeing Blender Internal caustics at the least.

Nice, i hear there is a relighting tool avail for it as well.
So how many re-renders did it take to deside to settle with letting it render for the 22 hr ?

oh by the way here is a tweaked version to see the light better

I just started playing with Indigo. It takes a lot longer, but I think the physically accurate lighting is worth it.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing against physically accurate lighting. People obviously want caustics, I’d like better shadows and so on - and all these things get closer with each new release. But the assumption that using real world light globes will automatically lead to easier setups is just plain wrong. I’ve worked on TV and photo shoots and those lighting guys - who know exactly what they’re doing - spend ages tweaking and adjusting, adding lamps, adding gels, placing reflectors, tweaking and adjusting some more… They often even use lamps when shooting outdoors in direct sunlight. The big difference between them and us is that they get instant feedback without rendering - though they still tend to check things in-camera before considering the job done.

It’s always been my impression that people handle light in 3D the way accomplished cooks cook–whatever looks good is right. I know that I’ve never given a darn what it said on the numeric readout of a light. It’s just “needs more”, “needs less”, “make that one a little bluer”. The numbers are convenient for boosting “a little” or “a lot” and that’s about it. I’d hate to try to talk to an art director and say, “Say what you will, the lighting in this scene is accurate.”, and she’d say, rightfully, “Yeah, but it sucks. Do it over.”

If there’s a real need for absolute lux measurements and it would undercut some overpriced bit of software, by all means code it in, but I don’t think most people would have any use for it.

Not for specifying lux into the program, but for generating a lux reading, that woul be nice, purely from an engineering point of view. I guess that would need some specific energy levels though, so I guess it might be a bit daunting a task.

I have to agree with AndyD. I work in the theater and it realy takes ages before lighting crew tweak all reflectors and stuff. Its one of the most time consuming part of making play.
Personally in Blender I’m using simpler proxy objects ( for eg. cubes or spheres) for light tuning. It gives me a fast result without need of turning off fancy effects.