Why is Blender's sys.path different?

If I use the terminal and type:
python
>> import sys
>> print sys.path

I get:

[’’, ‘/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python24.zip’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-darwin’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-mac’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/lib-tk’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload’]

If I do this from inside Blender, I get:

[’/Applications/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python24.zip’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-darwin’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-mac’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/lib-tk’, ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload’, ‘/Applications/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS’, ‘/Applications/blender/python’, ‘/Applications/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts’, ‘/Applications/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts/bpymodules’]

It sounds like this bug:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=105470&aid=231064&func=detail

OS X 10.4.8 Intel with Blender build using Python 2.4

Just a guess but It looks like when you type into the Python Console you get the Python related results. When you type in Blender you get the Blender results.

sys.path is a universal set of paths common to all interpreters. I would expect that Blender appends some paths at runtime, which is why it has more but it is missing a path that I added to my shell profile.

I’ve noticed this before with shell variables. Does Python in Blender use tcsh for the commands or the default bash?