Why is it called Blender?

How did it get to be called Blender? I know (everything Wikipedia has to say) about the history – Ton and NaN and the funding drive – but how or why did the name get to be Blender?

I mean-- I am a Blender ENTHUSIAST , but its in a world of 3DS Max, Maya, Modo, Cinema4D (not just 3D but FOUR-D) Nuke,

no offense – but the competition has it beat for names –

Maybe we should pull an Autodesk and migrate from Blender to B3D then to B4D (which is a name rife with potential – “Be 4-D!” or “Before D!” or “Be Forty!”

or choose a new name all together – Inca or Pulsar or Tachyon. Modeled, animated and rendered in Tachyon! that would be awesome.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blender/dp/B001KW9JL8%3FSubscriptionId%3D0JWR3XMC7TRJEK5CP9G2%26tag%3Dstreamwriting-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB001KW9JL8

You must submit a patch with the change of the name

What’s wrong with just keeping it Blender? It’s an upbeat, unpretentious name, and suggests it does everything, which is mostly true. It’s perfect. The suggested names seem immature and random by comparison IMHO.

What’s wrong with just keeping it Blender? It’s an upbeat, unpretentious name, and suggests it does everything, which is mostly true. It’s perfect. The suggested names seem immature and random by comparison IMHO.

Immature and random as compared to “Blender”? (which came from a song)

Inca –>> Maya
Pulsar –>> Lightwave
Tachyon – ok that was random. But could make for some great taglines.

But mostly – this is a tongue in cheek thread with a slight bit of seriousness, kind of jumping off of Andrew Price’s discussion from a few years back- The Big Issues,where he talked about marketing.

I know full well it is highly unlikely that Blender will ever change it’s name. If nothing else, we Blender users are crazy devoted and loyal. Some are perhaps more pragmatic than others, but nonetheless…

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Blasphemer! Everybody, grab your torches and pitchforks! :evilgrin:

:slight_smile:

Edit: Btw, I thought it was called Blender3D.

-LP

Don’t change the name, then I have o change my username. :o

shoot you’re right. Mods – lock thread :wink:

Nope… Just Blender. And that’s a good thing.

Daren - I have a great idea for you-surprised no one else thought of it. Go make your own 3d modeling program called “Tachyon”. And then give it away for free. And then don’t be offended when someone bitches about the name.

Some people have too much time on their hands.

I’ve always thought of Blender as referring to Blending 3d graphics, animation, a game engine etc in one program.

Edit: Those programs are not Blender’s competitors. They all cost a lot of money, whereas Blender is free. Blender is not trying to compete with anyone. It (the developers) are trying to make a great program with community input, and they are succeeding.

i thought blender was another name for a food mixer until i discovered blender

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Blender’s an awesome name. Worked for me the instant i read it, it’s perfect imo.

given that Blender’s birth was in the 90’s, be thankful it wasn’t named X-TREME3D, because then you really would feel kind of douche-y about it. EXTREME!

From wikipedia:

The name “Blender” was inspired by a song by Yello, from the album Baby.

mystery solved.

Same here, I think the name is quite fitting in that application.

Those programs are not Blender’s competitors. They all cost a lot of money, whereas Blender is free.

True also. For a hobbyist like me who only occasionally gets to use it but still enjoys doing so, even if the stuff I make is LOLworthy, it’s a far better choice than 3DS/Maya/insert name of software (costing craploads of money that I could be using to buy groceries and put gas in my car). Yet, if I WANTED to try to do something more professional, then Blender has the capacity.

Besides, if the name were changed, this wouldn’t make any sense. None at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

You know, I love “why” questions. Because there are really only two answers.

1.) Why not?
2.) Because…

“Why” is not a good way to present a question at all. One might ask “what is the reason” or something to that effect. “Why” is just too vague. I could ramble on for hours about “why” and you would still never know the answer to your question. Nail it down dude!

pix

Blender is a great name.

Please don’t change it.

Some days ago I was explaining I don’t use Max anymore and my architect client asked “what software did you say you were using?” “It’s called Blender” “haha I make soup with that” “hehe this is why I use it, I can do 3d work and make soup at the same time”. She did not object as she is as pleased with the results as if they were from Max and I don’t mind having a laugh. I got so used now to this name and so commited to Blender I would suffer enormously if it was changed. I could not answer anymore “well, just blending some stuff” to what are you doing questions, or say happyblending and blenderheads onthe forums!!!

-----> Blendermaxa4D <-----

http://larryphillips.net/emoticons/z7shysterical.gif

Blendermaxa4D-X-Treme Wave Plus

@ LarryPhillips
+1 for the name xD

But in all seriousness, I agree with the majority of people who have replied to this thread to the vague question of “why?”

Blender is really unique in that the name represents its “blend” of different abilities as a open-source program. A simple all-in-one package of pure community driven fun.