Why is it selecting only half of the vertices?

I added a mesh uvsphere to a scene that has another mesh object in it. Anyway, I went to the new uvsphere and prepped it up (subsurf on, setsmooth). I then got to work, pressed B to select some vertices, the bottom half of the sphere, but, a problem emerges. Of that bottom half, It only selects the first half of vertices that are facing towards my view, not the other half from the other side of the object! I don’t know what I did to make it do this, or why it’s doing this, I wish I knew. I want to select all of the vertices, not just the first half that is facing me. :frowning: I tried deleting the sphere and adding a new one, but the same thing happens. It wasn’t doing this before, and it doesn’t do this when I create a new blend file (file --> new). I want to stay in this blend file, not make a new one :frowning:

This might be a bug, it has been reported in the bug tracker already.

When this happened were you editing in shaded mode? If you were go into wireframe mode and try again. That should work as a workaround.

It’s not a bug check the release notes http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Mesh_editing_rewrite.425.0.html
scroll down to z-buffer clipped. If you are in solid mode and the little box next to face select in the panel where you can choose vertice select, edge select, face select, when this shaded box is pressed it will only select the vertices that are in the front. unselect the box and it will turn off. This happened to me too. The box was already pressed and I was wondering what was going on why it only selected the vertices in front. After I figured it out I saved my basic start-up (Control U) with it unselected. It is useful when you are working on a complicated mesh and only want to select the things you can see and not select the vertices on the back of the mesh.
Paradox

So, this is not a bug but a new feature! Great! :wink:

New feature with a little bug???

So I was playing around with this new feature but it sometimes gave some unpredictable results. What I did was the following:
In a new scene I added a standard cilinder, and rotated the view a little. I went in edit mode using z-buffer clipped selection on. Al vertices were unselected.Next I pressed B to start box-selection and draw a box around all vertices. But it didn’t select al the vertices which were visible on the screen. I deselected everything, rotated the view again and tried again to select all visible vertices. same result, some vertices were not selected.
Bug or Feature? Did I again miss some release notes?

yeah, thats what it was, I had the thingy selected. Thanks everyone!

SoftWork,

I can’t replicate your problem here. Could you post the numerical values of the cylinder rotations or the blend file with the object already rotated to a position that displays the bug.

Also what operating system and graphics card do you have?

GreyBeard

Greybeard,

Here’s an image.
http://www.imageshosted.com/images/039943unselected_vertices.jpg

You have to rotate the view like in the picture, so that one side can just be seen (that’s important, you might have to try it a few times). If you rotate the side more towards you the selection works Ok. Could the selection algorithm cause this?

I have also had this problem. I thought it was a bug. Is there a way I can turn it off?

oh, lol, should have read the whole post. Thanks anyway.

You have to rotate the view like in the picture, so that one side can just be seen (that’s important, you might have to try it a few times). If you rotate the side more towards you the selection works Ok. Could the selection algorithm cause this?

Still can’t replicate it, perhaps a windows only or driver bug. Try the 2.36 test build (bug fixes for 2.35a/b) available at blender.org and hopefully this will help.

GreyBeard

GreyBeard,

Just tried blender 2.36RC and the some probleme occured. Why do you think this might be a driver problem? A driver doesn’t calculate a selection, that’s done by Blender in my opinion. In face or edge select mode everything goes well.

Of course, but Blender uses openGL calculations to do its zBuffered selection, so if your driver has some imprecisions, it can affect the selection. FSAA also screws zBuffered selection.

Martin

I’m not familiar with openGL programming, but what you say could be true. I did the same experiment as above but now with a standard cube that I subdivided (W,1) six times. After box selection the unselected vertices lay in a sort of moire pattern. Ok, I’ll have to live wth it…