Why is Maya the industry standard?

I have to agree here. As someone who has used learned many 3D programs including 3dsMax/Maya/Modo/Zbrush/Substance programs/UE4/Unity/and others I think 2.80 has nailed it. Yes, there are the usual duplicate entries and illogically placed tools/menus/etc that all 3D programs have, but the customisation, layout, and ease of use alone is top notch, imo

My main gripe atm is the placement of the addon tabs in the N panel.

4 Likes

Also the fact that you dont seem to be able to edit the side tab, which after a while gets filled up with 3rd party addons that its impossible to see what each tab is. We should have the ability to put tabs where we want and indeed create new tab panels.

2 Likes

Definitely. Hope this will be changed. Iā€™m surprised that this design made it into the RC. I would much rather see these addons implemented like Max/Mayas shelf as buttons, with the panels as floating dialogues rather than tabs in the N panel. I prefer to keep the N panel closed as often as I can.

1 Like

I once got to see the original model of Shrek used in rendering. It was just a set of floating Nurbs models of Eyes mouth and nose. All the parts between the patches were generated when the shot was rendered. i was told it saved a huge amount of time in loading and rendering the scenes.

Simple. Because sub-division surfaces didnā€™t exist at the time and nurbs patches were the only way to render deformation friendly smooth shading.

You can cram in 40mil poly model in maya and do retopo without a hiccup on a same machine blender would crawl to dust with 2mil. I didnā€™t if anyone stated that, but payed software does come with two big things. Stability on complex tasks, it wonā€™t break if you go in and out of edit mode rapidly, secondly it comes with ā€œrelease the patch these feature is not working and I am paying for itā€.

Things can change. If you compare 3D to DTP software. Quark Xpress was the industry standard until Adobe InDesign started to take market share. Quark took its customers for granted, was more expensive and they failed to innovate.

[quote=ā€œstaughost, post:86, topic:690725ā€]
but payed software does come with two big things. Stability on complex tasks, it wonā€™t break if you go in and out of edit mode rapidly, secondly it comes with ā€œrelease the patch these feature is not working and I am paying for it
[/quote]

Grass is greener on the other side?

Maya 2020 has been patching things they broke up in Maya 2019ā€¦ does that count?

Stabiltyā€¦ yeahā€¦ Maya dont crash ever, rightā€¦ right? I remember very excited about Mash, then realized I had to reload the UI every half hour because Mash Editor kept bugging all the time, or the Shelf icons that one day dissapeared and never came backā€¦

Good thing im paying for Maya 2021 to fix whatever bug Maya 2020 leave.

1 Like

Personally I donā€™t like maya since itā€™s convoluted undo. But I am not sure for your experience honestly. I am 3ds max user. And problems I had with max usually were fixed with hotfix patches after Iā€™ve sent them an email with bug report. If you didnā€™t you should.

Now is 3ds max overpriced yes, is it more stable as software then blender (and bunch of other imho) and more reliable for export to ue4 also yes. But I might be wrong I only work on midpoly models for games and 20-50mil sculpts for retopology also for games in max. I would really like for blender to be able and handle that workload, but at the moment it just canā€™t. Just go and try editing 0.5mil poly mesh in blender 2.8, even 100k is a serious problem, because aloy 3D model from horizon zero dawn is arround 250k. And on top of it lack of relax tool for uv mapping is barely acceptable in production at least for that kind of games.

1 Like

Annnndā€¦ whatā€™s the list of outstanding issues in Blender again?

while maya now can handle big amount of poly in the viewport but 40mill to just retopo it thatā€™s exaggeration, quad draw is slow and buggy & you have to constantly delete history or just turn it off . & of course all of this takes up alot of resources.

Not exaggeration I actually work on 20mil+ meshes, although not in maya but in max. And I donā€™t actually need that in blender. It would be just practical if blender could handle 5 x 2mil meshes. And then retopo mesh on any of those 2mil ones with 50k polygons in edit mode. While not to eating 16gb of ram and has viewport performance with 20fps and not a slideshow.

1 Like

@dgorsman Right now, bigger than the features of Maya 2020 (for some reason they even recicled some 2018 already working features and advertised them as 2019 for the promo video, like mash nparticles, shape editor, time editor, text animator, curve editor - Bevel text and copy / paste from Adobe Illustrator were also 2018 or 2017, I honestly cant remember)

@staughost Yes, indeed Blender cant handle poly editing, I opened a car in C4D to edit and compare and the same model could not be worked inside Blender until I separated some pieces, edited and then joined them at the end.

Guys, I dont think this is a competition between free / paid softwares. Blender can handle small projects, short films. Maya can handle big projects. Both have bugs and features to be improved, and both aim at different markets.

Thats it. If you are working in a big budget production, use Maya or Houdini. I work in Broadcast News Channel and have to do daily animations so I use both Blender + C4D / xparticles.

If I worked on a movie studio I wouldnt touch Blender, but then again, I wouldnĀ“t touch Maya particles / FX either because someone would use Houdini for that. Maybe I also wouldnt touch Maya for modeling organics or cloth (Zbrush / Marvelous), neither I would use Maya Paint FX for texturing (Substance). Maya software render? Nope, thats what they bought Arnold for. So, where are all the new exciting features again? (outside of Animation)

editā€¦ edited because my english is not very good.

1 Like

2.80 can handle that, i have been working with the sculpt branch & it can handle 20+ million in the viewport even with eevee on mid-range machine, not to mention no optimizations yet, the only missing is better performance in edit mode & a dedicated retopo-tools which probably come later in the upcoming versions.

I know it can but it is far from stable. Try doing retopo on that mesh and then do 50 undo steps. There is huge probability of a crash, but that is not a point of this thread :slight_smile:

Why is Maya the industry standard?

Because autodesk has the money to put their crap on the schools. Thatā€™s why everyone knows how to use it.

stability will come over time not before the release, and if u didnā€™t know the undo/redo is planned for a complete overhaul this issue has been talked about extensively , now with the fund reaching higher goals & 2.80 ready to be shipped, they can focus on core problems instead of just new features.

MEL scripting was one of Mayaā€™s secret weapons, which made it very attractive to VFX houses. As a long time SI user, even I could knock out a particle animation fairly easily in Maya. XSI/Softimage caught up (ICE turned out be incredibly powerful and easy for artists to use), but SIā€™s acquisition by its main competitor was clearly its death sentence, as demonstrated by it being killed.

3 Likes

But still very much alive with users. Shame as XSI was superior to Maya in nearly ever way.

Indeed Melscript meant they could create tools in house for all the shortcomings of Maya.

2 Likes

:joy: (rthe rest of the characters is for post the laugh)