Why is my mesh bending after I connected it with my rig using "With Automatic Weights"

I’m making a character model in Blender, and I’ve rigged it and all, everything is fine there. But when I go into “Pose Mode” (after I’ve selected the Mesh, then Armature and went CTRL + P to “With Automatic Weight”), when I rotate the bones it will sort of bend my character model and make it go thinner.

I think it might have something to do with the rough surface I made for my model (I wanted to achieve sort of a folded clothes effect), or maybe the weight painting…

And another thing I think might as well be the issue is that I didn’t weight paint it, but I’m not sure, I don’t want to make too many changes, since Blender has a weird limitation on how many “undo”-s I can make… And I don’t want to restart the whole project from scratch again…

I’m a pretty BIG noob at Blender, so excuse me if this is a stupid question… I’ve also researched online for a bit about this topic, but couldn’t find any good solutions, either it didn’t work (it was outdated) or the guy who wrote the answer / fix didn’t clarify good enough what should I (or the other guy who was asking) do in that situation…

Here is a link where you can download the current mesh to check it out if you want… Maybe it will help:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lOVttaLOhuZ5gOSN_mXvqjQaXez4davM/view?usp=sharing

You need to check your Normals. Go to Viewport Overlays > Geometry > Face Orientation. Everything will turn red and blue now. Red faces mean that they are oriented inside out. In Edit Mode select the mesh, go to Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside (hotkey: Alt + N). Blender will attempt to flip faces that need it - you’ll end up with a blue mesh (you can disable this overlay now).
It should correctly assign Automatic Weights now.

That said, to avoid getting other possible issues with parenting, it’s better to get Transforms in order before rigging. Scale of the object is the usual culprit, you’d want to have it both uniform and equal to 1 (not strictly necessary, but makes things a lot cleaner) and in this case both mesh Object and Armature have different scales. Object > Apply > Scale (hotkey: Ctrl + A) will make it equal to 1. Probably better to apply Location as well (but again probably not necessary). This solves usual problems… usually.

Thanks for the reply. I tried the thing with the normals, indeed my arms and legs were red, I went and done what you said (recalculated them outside), but it still didn’t fix the issue…

I’ve tried then the other thing you said… And it also didn’t work…

I’m pretty sure it has something to do with my “un-even” polygons, since I have quite a lot of triangles and other shapes which aren’t regular squares there, but I want it to look like that (to achieve a rough effect)… So any fixes for that that you might of know of? Or am I just stuck there?

After you fixed the normals did you re-parent the mesh again?

PS. Un-even polygons are common (and all game models are made of triangles) so it should not matter at all

I didn’t re-parent it, I will try that now…

It works! Thank You a lot!