Why is there still no light linking in Blender Cycles?

Thank you, Blender devs.

Just stumbled on this. Had no idea there was even an experimental branch.

I might play around more with Cycles since this is now a thing. Hoping it makes it into the main branch. I am hoping light- linking comes to ue5 as well but I understand it is near impossible because of how Lumen is.

1 Like

This is sure to land in main, is in very active development. They’re currently examining what the best UI option is, I think I read you’ll link collections to lamps. They tried materials, but that was cumbersome.

1 Like

Light Linking will come probably with Blender 4.0 later this year. Don‘t hold your breath for 3.6

1 Like

Thats good news. Yeah using materials is cumbersome. Great choice by the devs with the current approach.

Any chance you can share where you got this info from? Is there a reason why its 4.0 and not 3.6?

Each release has the same set of milestones for large new features; the “bcon” milestones for 3.6 were:

Phase Description Start Date Branch
Bcon1 New features and changes February 15, 2023 main
Bcon2 Improve and stabilize April 19, 2023 main
Bcon3 Bug fixing only May 17, 2023 blender-v3.6-release
Bcon4 Prepare release June 21, 2023 blender-v3.6-release
Bcon5 Release June 27, 2023 blender-v3.6-release

The date for large new features ended on April 19 really. And changes for 3.6 will be primarily bug fixes from May 17 onwards.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks for Info :+1:

https://www.youtube.com/live/McheaqnfAF0?feature=share&t=3111

1 Like

Thanks for the time stamp. Guess they still have a lot of ironing out to do for light linking. Nevertheless, still very happy that this is in the works. Currently testing the experimental build.

1 Like