Why Is This Blender 2.8?

“Blender Inofficial” and “Blender Unstable” are my favorite names for an upcoming major release.

(Craig Jones) #62

Especially if we end up with BlenderDesktop, BlenderTablet, and BlenderWatch versions that need distinctions :stuck_out_tongue:

(Zinogg) #63

Blender Noob and Blender Pro :slight_smile: i think this was planned in the Blender 101 project or something like that.

(Chris Tempel) #64

I agree that 2.8 should really be Blender 4.0

Also, when are we getting Blender OS? :smiley:

(Grimm) #65

Blender should really move to Semantic Versioning, it’s another tool for the end user to determine how and/or if they want to upgrade. Especially when backwards compatibility is broken.

(san) #66

Nobody should be surprised by now, that Blender has reached a position where outlets such as 3D Artist Magazine + the “industry” at large + many non-CG/media communities (scientific, DIY, etc) will talk about the new version. Let’s say a random person stops up and sees ‘Blender 2.8 released!’ on the front page of a magazine, and that person and other people are intrigued enough to read about it. For these “new” users, the 2.8 number is now the point of reference for “latest release”. If that number is 10 or 10.13 or CC or 2014 or ‘Bottle Opener’, it does not matter. When Blender 2.81 is announced, and the user then wonders about that added digit, what happens? Well, if they think it is so unprofessional and/or confusing, it turns them off so much that they’d rather use something else - or at least bothers them every time they use the program - it seems pretty obvious to me that these “users” are not really interested or serious to begin with, and their opinion shouldn’t matter to anyone, least of all the Blender Foundation/Community and all the rest who just use the program for what it is.

Why even try justifying another versioning scheme using BS arguments and mass-market mindset? All the while criticizing Blender, projecting how immature and contrary it is - both as a project and as a “product” - getting some shots in there at foss-development in general aswell. Classy. Sounds like a lot of insecurity, shallowness and “more is better” primal thinking going on here to be honest.

As for future Blender releases, 3.0 will be approaching some Skynet-level shit! :wink:

(noki paike) #67

blender has no need to do “marketing” with versions like private software that have to do spectacularization to know how to sell.
So the current blender logic is perfect.
Anyone is in the community, because blender now is also a solid community knows its history and they realize well when the moments of revolution arrive …

So the versioning of blender is more a chrono-story than a scoreboard.

(aermartin) #68

With regard for Ton and probably lots of memories and memorabilia we can keep the versioning numbering that has been going on since Blender was first created.

Otherwise I like the annual way of versioning. So if we’re aiming at a release early next year. Blender 2019.1

But it’s a bit big corporate and boring, who needs structure that is self explanatory?! that is like saying my code doesn’t need comment blocks, it’s self explanatory.

(Richard Culver) #69

I particularly like the idea that at the current pace Blender 4.0 will arrive long after Ton and most of us will be dead and Earth has already moved into some kind of post apocalyptic world where the only computers left are some old Amigas someone dug up out of a nostalgic time capsule.

Blender won’t actually run on anything. But the Blender foundation will still be here, and the versioning system will become more like chapters in the Bible. And our great grandchildren will meet every year in “New Amsterdam” to discuss “The 3.5 Age” when the world went to hell. And plan for the new age when their children’s children won’t be dying off from eating radio active worms.

Then in that bright new tomorrow thank their forefathers for being smarter than other commercial companies who’s versions all went to tripple digits before " the great crash".

And when the new sun rises on that distant tomorrow, Blender can start fresh at 4.01.

(Grimm) #70

I could live with that distopia :smiley:

(Richard Culver) #71

Lol… I think a good marketing campaign would be to switch to semantics as suggested.

“Blender Reincarnation 1.00 .You won’t live to see it, but your grandchildren will. But hey it will be here when you come back, so its all good!”.

And switch to a new prime number every 100 years. I think it’s simple and easy to understand. Also by adding the decimal it tricks people into thinking it Is not tripple digits.

Clever.

(Ammusionist) #72

… and with the economy collapsed and crypto-currency worthless, we can all get cheap surplus graphics cards!!

I would personally release it under Blender 2019 but that’s just my 2 cents hey!

(Thinking Polygons) #74

Mine also. Haha. :v:

Not even since graphic cards are still going up in price since the crypto boom and they still want that hefty price since they already taste it.

Even with the crypto downfall they will still sell their cards at crypto price or very close.

(noki paike) #76

The reality we are all already in a digital simulation of ourselves all scanned and that we are pure code evolved as souls, and we are going in reverse mode in this simulated world that is made with an ancient version of blender created in a material world millions of years ago , and blender itself is the beginning of all time with the year zero. Which for us will be a year in the future when Blender will have version 5.0 :grin:

(Richard Culver) #77

Lol… I think you guys are skipping over the detail about radio active worms. And the fact that there won’t be any power to run light bulbs much less a computer. So yeah, graphics cards will be ahem…dirt cheap.

(san) #78

When our future generations sits huddled around some radio active worms for light and warmth, they’ll still be bickering about Blender,

“Did you know that Blender thing still used numbers for versioning instead of emojis?”
“What?! What a joke, how did they manage?”

(Hoyt Ridge) #79

It will be in very distant future, probably in age of blender 2.83.

(Hoyt Ridge) #80