Why is this computer screen material not working?

So I am following this neat tutorial on making a computer monitor from Texturing Freak called Screen Material.
Obviously I must have missed something somewhere. I just can’t catch what it is.
I hope someone could spot it.

Screenshot from 2020-04-01 21-38-38

monitor_emission_NotWorking.blend (2.0 MB)

Thank you guys!

It’s kind of a bad tutorial if you ask me, working completely backwards like that - best thing about it was probably the little snipped of Roundabout :D. Starting with a group? Never seen that before, you group things when everything is done. Not doing previews of the signal (hard to do when inside a group). Not showing the UV. Incoherent scales - even the example shows this.

I was able to make it “work” by tweaking the color ramps (which could have been math nodes in this case) and adjusting the last brick settings. And of course the groups strength setting should not be zero.

Although it is great for practice, unless you want an extreme close up of a display, you would ignore all that stuff and go simple. Let me know if you want to see a completely different approach to this, although a lot more complex. Presenting displays (in use) is what I do (or, in these times, did) prefessionally, so I set it up as best as I could. Of course, I would always turn it off and bypass the whole system because it’s never actually needed. But I had to set it up, lol.

Oh my! I can’t believe this rather important detail was left out!

Simple would be nice! Namely because I only need it for an NPR style video, kind of cartoonish. Also because I have a hard time wrapping my head around using nodes.

I would. If it were to be simple even better! (But I would still like to see it if it was not simple) :slight_smile:

Thank you CarlG :slight_smile:

Well, thanks for the offer anyway, Carl :slight_smile:

Lol, sorry, I completely forgot about this thing. I have it open now and will complete it, I got distracted last time by some paper plate thingie.

See attached. Probably way more than you want, this is the kind of stuff I used for work. Not for a single monitor, but for video walls of several monitors. Revise and simplify as needed. LEDs are a different beast and not included here. The ??UNSURE?? final multiplier for the sim you would set based on measured/photographed responses in the real thing. 2x2 800NIT displays at full blast would completely overshine any interior lighting in the space (but not sunlight). Set Pixel Size Fill to 1.000 to avoid slight unknown darkening and moire effects. The Display CM Exposure Compenation affect the full render, not only what camera sees. Adjust its value inside the group, allows constant display look regardless of CM exposure used.
monitor_emission_differentapproach1.blend (2.1 MB)

1 Like

Wow, sounds intimidating. But fun :slight_smile:
I’ll have a look asap.
Thank you so much Carl :slight_smile:

Ok, finally I had a chance to have a look. Very impressive nodes work :slight_smile:
Any chance you have an Eevee version?

Thanks Carl

Probably not from me. Busying myself with other stuff right now. This one supports video walls, probably making it a bit too complex for what you would use for a single monitor. Basically, it should be simplified significantly or it might not compile, and at least my Eevee is extremely picky on complexity and even procedural bump effects produce garbage (Cycles is ok).

I understand Carl, no worries. These are some strange times the world is going through :mask: