WHY LOCK THE DISCUSSION?

(overextrude) #1

<RANT>
I’m not clear on the reasons behind this. I thought that despite its controverisal nature, it was being handled quite well. I was particularly intrigued by the honesty.

It’s apparent that the one thing we simply can’t allow is for anyone to walk away with a greater understanding, or perhaps having learned something we hadn’t previously considered. No, we just can’t have that. Let’s all lock ourselves into our own prejudiced little worlds, and throw away the key, because that’s exactly what comes of shutting down communication.
</RANT>

(IMProvisar) #2

I’m always as honest as I can be, unless there’s a particular need for tact.

Also, it’s not too difficult to get me riled up, but really tough to get me to blow my top… never came close in that thread. Too bad it got shut down… just getting into the meat of some differing opinions, but not yet tackling the reasons behind them. :-?

Oh well… I’m not much for starting new threads… but if anyone wants to discuss anything of any (or no) imporance, start up a thread, I’ll prolly be there. :slight_smile:

Imp

(haunt_house) #3

I think it was locked because almost no thread with such complex topics has ever been handled rationally.

We jump from one statement to the next, trying to make points instead of checking the validity.

All the threads I have seen so far, the different parties fighted against each other instead of working together.

This is not very effective :-?

Politics do this…

HH

(Dani) #4

Hi ya all.

That thread was going no where… and just had nothing to do on this forum. There are so many things to take account of when dealing with international relationship that we all got messed up.

Ciao
Dani

(harkyman) #5

I though it was just getting interesting, too. I like to read the viewpoints of others, especially those directly opposed to mine. It causes me to think more diligently and consider ideas that had not occurred to me. I didn’t really see the discussion getting ugly. Oh well. I guess if I want to argue politics, there’s a hundred thousand places on the web to do so. I just happen to like this place.

It’s their playground, though. If they think the monkey bars are too dangerous, they’re going to take them out and there’s nothing that the toddlers can do about it.

(Dittohead) #6

Because many AMERICANS were becoming offended by the the anti-american people on this board.

(Green) #7

the canadians got upset too?

(haunt_house) #8

Well, I am not an anti american, but it occured to me on this board, that there are people who see the United States in a very very friendly light. I do not want to argue against this right now, but please understand that this point of view is hard to understand for people who are not emotionally connected to the US.

It is a complicated matter to prevent friction there.

HH

(ray_theway) #9

I’ve seen this happen over and over again at a flight sim message board (this particular board sees a lot more Americans, but still quite a few notably Mid-Easterners). These conversations never work! Not that I don’t like arguing these issues, I just see that there’s no way to win the conversation or find some kind of way to resolve the issue. People just get hurt. So let’s go on and be happy. :smiley: (I personally like the more existential kind of conversations such are seen on an OT board like this)

(valarking) #10

i agree. bangs his first on table, MORE BLENDER! :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: 8)

(SGT Squeaks) #11

MORE BLENDER NOW, JOIN THE MOVEMENT!!! :smiley:

(ilac) #12

bah!
Earthlings!

One day we will crush you all…
(grrr!)
one day…
(grrrrrrr!)
hmm…?
(grrrrrrr!)
doggie?
(grrrrrrr!)
good doggie!
doggie…
…stay…
…sweet doggie?
…staaay…
(grrrrrrr!)
dogg…
chompchew*
Woof! Woof! [<translation from bark> yum! yum! </translation from bark>]

…end transmition. :wink:

(IMProvisar) #13

Well… I think it should’ve moved to OT, and been left alone. Off Topic means just that… I think anyone who wants to talk only about Blender would stick to the on topic forums.

Oh, also, I am an American, and a very proud one at that, and I wasn’t particularly offended. Part of being an American is being able to tolerate other viewpoints, and support their right to express them in discussion. The other part… tell them when you think they’re wrong. :slight_smile:

I’m always willing to listen. I’m always willing to change my mind if you convince me I’m wrong. And I’m always willing to to try to convince you you’re wrong, if I think that’s the case. If I as a proud American, and avid libertarian can look at communism, and see some of the virtue and idealism of it, I can probably look rationally at just about any subject.

Simply put, I like discussion because on occassion I find a better viewpoint on a subject than I currently have, and on occassion I help others do the same. :slight_smile:

Imp

(theeth) #14

Off Topic means that you can talk about anything you want, yes, but it doesn’t mean you can talk any way you want. Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutly nothing against a polite exchange of ideas, and believe me, it can happen on any subject (on the Blender.nl forum, there was a thread about Christianism and views of the Bible where the discussion continued for weeks with only a random insult which wasn’t replied to, and it was much interesting to read), but when it is clear to me that the discussion is turning not nice, I’d rather close it than wait until everyone shouts insults and gets mad at one another.

I’m always willing to listen. I’m always willing to change my mind if you convince me I’m wrong. And I’m always willing to to try to convince you you’re wrong, if I think that’s the case. If I as a proud American, and avid libertarian can look at communism, and see some of the virtue and idealism of it, I can probably look rationally at just about any subject.

And I say: BRAVO!, but that is not the case of everyone else, sadly, and I know that closing a thread also means closing a discussion from which you (and others) would have benefit, but it also means a closing a discussion where the general trend was going the way of the petty insults, whether it was meant or not.

In a perfect world, I wouldn’t have had to close a thread, but alas…

Martin
PS: maybe (with a big emphasis on maybe), the thread will be reopenned when the dust has settled, and spirits have clamed down.

(IMProvisar) #15

If only, lol

Imp

(bmax) #16

what is this thread really about?

(valarking) #17

yes, do lock this thread too.

(CubeFan973) #18

What is this thread TALKING about? “Evolution?” “How to turn $6 into $6000?” “:’(?” (What in the–) “NOT SAVED: We Will NEVER Raise 100K?”

In my opinion, the worst thread in the world is “don’t like someone? post it here!” It encourages flaming, and Kib_Tph had to delete some posts due to them being REALLY offensive. Why aren’t they locking it by now?

(haunt_house) #19

the worst threads are those, where people get nasty without a shared reason

HH