Why make a game in blender?

I’m sure a lot of us have put hours and hours of work into games made in blender. It’s nice to have free software as an engine to create nice looking games for a hobby. But something that is holding me back to put a LOT of effort and time into a game is that what happens when it is done? Sure its nice to know I’ve created something and completed it in blender to get a few compliments here and there, but what if I wanted to take it to the next level?

My question is, what are some good things about making a game in blender. I’m not part of a big company, so I wouldn’t know how to sell my game, or at least publish. How would I get it out to the world. I would just like to know some reassurance that IF I make a fun to play game, that it would get out. Is there a point to making games with blender if your reason is more than “just a hobby” ?

Please I’d like to see someone else ideas, thoughts, or advice for this. Don’t take this as a stab at the BGE, I mean I still love to play around with it :slight_smile:

You could try to pitch a prototype/game to a game studio to see if you can sell it to them/get hired. Or, you can use the game in a demo reel or other portfolio work to try and get hired. Or you could try selling the game over the internet. Or, try to attract people to the site that has the game and try to get some ad revenue (probably wouldn’t be much though).

If I had this goal, I would carefully do a research on game engines (not restricted to free engines).
The criterias to check would be a bit different than developing a hobby game:

• licence (how does it limit your rights and the rights of your customers)
  • fees
  • follow up fees
  • engine support (+support fees)
  • distribution process
  • hosting (+hosting fees)
  • platforms to distribute to
  • how to sell (how to get payed)
  • content protection
  • how to support your game when published
  • support to reuse already made resources (models, texture, sound etc.)
    (- How to integrate a team into the work flow)

Most likely I would end up with another engine using Blender as modeller and prototype.

Just my thoughts

For me, Blender is the perfect tool for making independant 3D game with love. And the Blender’s community is full of passionate people.

Zootanore, I m my point of view, the game industry have its giants that distribute the games around, for games as every other product marketing is all for sell it, I saw a chinese guy selling world soccer championship s air, believe me, the most important thing is find a way to promote your game,
If you make a good game i think that companies like steam will distribute your game for a % of your profits ( i dont know how it works for shure) and if you get luck and have an excellent game maybe EA distribute the game for you.
It s all about talk, if you want to take a team and develop a good game for BGE try to find out what you can do to release it on the right company.
Doesn t matter if you use unreal engine, crygine or “idontknowwhatother” if you can t create a marketing strategy for it your game ll not sell.

Well, here’s my opinion:
If you actually pull off a fun game to play, I believe most of us will either test,buy or promote it (thought it might be the opposite if people get jealous of your work). Then you have the indie games portals, forums and friends. I mean you may sell it your door step, at schools (if allowed), I mean I’d sell it in my neighborhood first, along with the internet.

As an independent developer, I think you should pick a capable engine that you find easy to work with. If the BGE is capable of making the sort of games you want to make, and it is easier for you to work with than other engines, then stick with it. As an alternative for a commercial project, the OgreKit release of GameKit might be a good option.

Like leonn said, selling is about marketing. If your game is worth buying, then you need to let people know about it. The internet is a wonderful tool. List your game in as many different places as you can, sell on portals or use Plimus or a similar service (or both), have a website, make announcements on gamer news sites, announce on BlenderNation. All of those things are free. If you make a little money and want to spend some of it on targeted marketing, try to identify your market and buy some Google adwords or use a Facebook ad. See if local video game stores or computer stores would be willing to sell boxed copies of your game. You can self publish boxed copies of your game for a few hundred dollars using online services. Getting an ESRB rating would be expensive, but you could always use a free TIGRS rating instead.

A big benefit to using BGE or OgreKit/GameKit is cross-platform support. The Windows game market is over-saturated right now, and it could prove difficult to be successful with a Windows-only game. Making your game cross-platform opens up a broader market and a greater potential for financial success.

I think it is possible to make AAA games with BGE. Just you dont dream about a Crysis. Crysis is an AAA game but there is many other AAA game types.
Now I am working on 3 games with BGE with commercial target.

You can make anything in Blender (basically), so whatever engine you decide to go with, you’ll still be working with texture, meshes, code, and sound, so regardless of whether you go with Blender or another (more capable) engine, you’ll still have a game that needs to get out there. So basically, if you like Blender, use it. You can sell what you make with it.

It’s free, the coding’s fairly easy to learn, and as long as you’re a good coder, you can really do anything any other engines can do feature wise. As for graphical restraints… if it’s a good game, who cares about being able to pick out every piece of dirt? The BGE is also constantly getting better and better, so it’s not like you can’t have some degree of nice graphics! Selling a game using ANY engine is tough, if you’re just a small developer. Using Blender doesn’t mean you’ll instantly have a harder time selling something.

It helps beef up your portfolio, especially for those going into the industry