Why mono colored icons for blender 2.8?

Actually that’s not really a factor. @BTolputt can correct me if blender’s icon sheet works absolutely nothing like your typical sprite/image sheet, but his code would only be concerned with swapping sheets in and out, swapping the big chunk of image data that blender references. From a code perspective, the locations of icons and layout are not a factor, and not significantly required for testing, as they wouldn’t change sheet-to-sheet.

As far as testing goes, it is incredibly unlikely that icon positions somehow got messed up by swapping out the internal icon image data. It’s also fairly easy to test just by scribbling on a new icon test sheet. Numbers are often more useful to test with than actual icons.

let me try again:

1 Like

I had suggested this technique, which I believe with not too much effort would have made everyone happy, but was completely ignored …
maybe it’s my english’s fault that it’s not the best …

You weren’t ignored. Really.

2 Likes

They literally rearranged the icons to fit the new interface requirements and to correct misordered icons to keep the internal sets consistent as well.

The final icon sheet and corresponding svg will enable us to then modify to our own desires and with BTolputt’s work later when he gets time again, we will be able to load them as we load themes.

The complaint that the ‘DEVS’ unloaded work on volunteers or that they aren’t giving enough attention to them is bogus - we are all volunteers this side of the BI, and we all have a say and opportunity to do something - BTolputt, Jendrzych, Harley, etc. are nice enough to do the work, and some of us seem nice enough to only critique.

All someone has to do right now is to fire up inkscape and then align the old icons to the positions of the new icons, insert new styled icons where the old are not available, and then export a png from the adjusted svg - compile, boom. Old icons in the same place as the new icons… BUT it takes time, and work, and someone with enough sense to replicate the old colored style when tackling the new icons that didn’t exist in 2.79.

That is the rub - it takes work. If you want to pay me, I can start using my lunch time to go down the line one by one to do it - but I work a day job and a volunteer side job, so my time is limited.

1 Like

I can redo old icon sheet and design new icons, as a paid job. No problem.

6 Likes

:grin::joy:

we should start a gofundme: ‘All blender 2.8 icon complainers - put your money where your mouth is!’

1 Like

I almost always levy my arguments against default blender. Because it should be the best it can be out of the box, without needing to tweak, switch things, or add a ton of addons in order to fix glaring issues. Tweaks and settings should be personal preference, not required to get blender working at it’s optimal. The fact that BTolputt may get icon sheet selection working down the line doesn’t change that the devs are almost positively sticking with these mono icons for default, and as such a huge portion of users are going to have a worse ui experience.

Plenty of people do not have the skills to “do something”.
Jendrzych was working on his own icon set personally before the devs came along. He did not intend to develop icons for base blender.
BTolputt had to get assurances from Brecht that were he to develop the iconset switching code, it would actually get used.
What’s Harley working on? I’ve missed that one, or forgotten.
You imply something I do other than critique makes me not “nice”. Can you be more specific? also, how is “nice” relevant?

I made my remark about having 0 faith whilst knowing about BTolputt’s project. There are many factors that contribute to me having no motivation or desire for anyone but the devs to fix the issues for the moment. Without proper motivation, I’m not going to start a long tedious side project that involves me learning how to work with an entirely new art form I’ve never worked with before when I know I will not finish it. Especially when I have plenty of other side-projects that are more rewarding, and I am much more motivated to do right now.

Unless the devs did it, I’d have no reason to believe it would make a difference.

1 Like

You’re pretty motivated to complain about icons…

3 Likes

I am motivated to bring to light issues with the current ui design philosophy, and I am annoyed with the frequency by which arguments and issues are ignored.

which is entirely irrelevant because it’s separate from any motivation or ability to fix the issues myself.

More importantly, the former is something I can do. I cannot fix the issues, because I do not have control over blender ui design directions.

My furnace at home is broken right now.

I am incapable of fixing it myself, and hiring a technician to fix it is expensive.

I can complain about how cold I am all day long and it will not make me warmer.

My options are: Learn to fix it myself, or hire someone to do it for me.

This is not an equivalent comparison.

A closer comparison is that everyone’s furnace is malfunctioning.
You can fix your furnace yourself, maybe passing on the instructions to a few people. You could hire someone to fix your furnace, and maybe a few other people’s.
Or you can inform the furnace manufacturer of the defect and hope they’ll fix it for everyone.

5 Likes

Nobody’s furnaces are malfunctioning if the design isn’t finished. Everyone still has access to the current stable furnace which heats very well - but we all want that new sexy furnace because it looks, well, sexy.

But some of us want monochrome and others want multicolor finish… and some of us just want to have a finished furnace that we can then customize once the furnace api is finished :wink:

2 Likes

Get me a number and a paypal and I can have you some money by the end of the month. Might have to rearrange some other things, but it is a great idea to get the design straight from the original artist :smiley:

1 Like

fine, then you have access to the blueprints and are noticing a flaw.

You’re example of ‘finsh’ here is assuming the ui issues are purely aesthetic. They’re not, they’re real functionality and recognisably issues, which adversely affect people’s ability to function with the program.

Solutions will be worked out. I don’t have a problem working with icons - I have a problem not knowing where things sit now - but I am investing time now to learn it, to get acquainted.

The program is not even beta yet. You have 2.79 as do I - and the designer is interested in making a 2.79-styled sheet later.

@Antaioz just give, these are the effects of the cult, negative feedback on the UI is like killing thier mothers, they’ll fight tooth and nail in defense of whatever you criticize unless Holy Jesus and his apostles (William and other devs) agree with you then it’s guaranteed they’ll have a 180 turn and claim they were fighting for that too…

personally, i work on my 15" laptop which make most icons very small and hence hard to recognize with this new mono colored icons and i hope there will be another alternative

1 Like

Don´t promise things like that if you´re not really up for it, haha… seriously, though, just saying people WILL actually put up the money :wink:

regarding this whole issue - not a big fan, but I can see myself getting used to it. I do lke the initial work on a dash of color in the outliner, and user customizable icon sets sounds cool. There´s so much change in 2.8 already, it will take a lot of time getting used to, regardless…

2 Likes

We may have grounds to make progress on the matter

how much to redo the entire icon set (after every icon and position on the current skin is definitive)? let’s see if three or ten detractors can put some money on the table to pay for the alternative

1 Like