Why my array doesn't follow curve shape?

I tried both 2.8 and 2.79. I tried to make array of cubes to follow curve’s shape. But instead I’m getting usual straight line of multiple cubes. I tried to put center of cube and curve into the same location, still the same. I used Array modifier on the cube, you can see all settings here:

Quickly to respond : You should use en empty that you parent to the curve and use as an offset to the array. that will drive the cubes following the curve.
I can’t detail now but will come later and if you do not get more detailed setup I’ll provide it…

Watch that video regarding parenting to curve:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srvceCqNt_s
I’ll get more detail regarding the arry

1 Like

You don’t need to parent anything. To make a mesh follow your curve shape you need to add “curve” modifier to this mesh AFTER the array modifier. This option in the array modifier does different thing. Look at the name it says “Fit type - curve” this option tries to determine how many copies array modifier need to create to FIT LENGTH of your curve. It doesn’t deform your mesh along your curve, that’s exactly what “curve” deform modifier is made for.

Thank you very much, I kind of did it. But I would like object not to be deformed during that operation.

But I’ve got cube deformed:

If you want no deformation with an array/curve modifier, you have to use an intermediate mesh:

Add a plane, add your array/curve to it, it will follow your curve but get deformation (like your cube is doing).

Then you parent the mesh you do not want deformed to the plane, then in the Object > Instancing tab, select faces.

It’ll replace the deformed mesh with the mesh you want.

2 Likes

I didn’t get this place, could you clarify, please:

Object >Instancing tab, select faces.

How about a picture:

And the related manual page:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/3dview/object/properties/duplication/dupliverts.html

1 Like

Thanks, much better, yet there two moments:

1. How to make initial cube and plane invisible?
  2. How to make distance between array items the same?

For the plane visibility, you have a Display instancer and a Render instancer in the instancing tab.
It’s just under the faces button in my screenshot.

For the initial cube, just toggling visibility in the outliner will work.
It’s in the child of plane (tiny > near Plane in the outliner).

For the distance between array, no idea, didn’t have the problem. Would be easier to answer with a file.

1 Like

For the plane visibility, you have a Display instancer and a Render instancer in the instancing tab.
It’s just under the faces button in my screenshot.

For the initial cube, just toggling visibility in the outliner will work.
It’s in the child of plane (tiny > near Plane in the outliner).

Right, I thought that too, but somehow first time couldn’t make it.

Would be easier to answer with a file.

No file, thanks.

got a ‘not found 404’ for the page but your answer did help me anyway
Thanks

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/scene_layout/object/properties/duplication/dupliverts.html?highlight=duplivert

This one should works