Why no Catmull Clark Subdivision in Edit mode

I think it’s something to do with the displacement in relation to loop crossings on the new subdivided mesh?

If I’m reading that right, then in Blender these are handled by additional modifiers rather than an option on subdivision itself. Either Smooth, Laplacian Smooth, or Corrective Smooth. I don’t really use them much but I believe you use those in addition to the subdivision modifier. Give them a try and see what the results are from there. Also keep in mind modifier stack order is important too.

No that is smoothing. We are talking about Subdivide Smooth based on CC or other than what is currently available - in Edit Mode. Destructively on the mesh. Cool tool though. Installed. :slight_smile:

So, three years have passed since the last comment, and I;m here to necro this thread.
Apparently there’s still no way to subdivide a part of your geometry with the same algorithm s the subdivision surface modifier, but in edit mode.
The Subdivide command works in a different way, which limits certain pipelines in modeling.
(I’d upload an example pic, but i keep getting an error.)

About addon shared above, here is the addon for Blender 2.8+ :