Why should I use anything other than Blender Internal renderer?

I’m a bit of a n00b and I see many people using yafaray and sunflow and things like that and I was wondering why. So in a word, is it worth downloading?

Well, Blender internal is very good and fast. I think that you can need an external render if you want to achieve photo-realistic renderings.

This said, you can also get realistic renderings with Blender, it is only a mater of time, and with the good settings, you can get results close to a photo, even with the internal render.

For my own, I sometime use indigo for realistic rendering, but as it is much slower, and because I mainly build animated scenes, most of my works are rendered with Blender internal.

If you think that Blender internal is not capable of realistic renderings, look at these pages of my site :

http://3d-synthesis.com/33-Colt1911A1.html

http://3d-synthesis.com/1-cle.html

And you will find much better works here and there, from other Blender user, done with Blender internal. So, if you are a noobie, I wouldn’t advice you to try right now an other render engine.

Setting materials for other renderers is not as easy as setting materials for Blender internal, and even if some external renderers can give awesome results in the hands of an experienced artist, if you are new to Blender or CG in general, I’m sure that you will get better results with Blender internal. At least until you are very comfortable with Blender.

In my opinion its another tool to have and does not affect your blender installation in any way. Its just another rendering tool. Go ahead and download it.

On the other hand. In my opinion. I would hope in future builds of blender, we will see a revamped renderer. One to rival and negate the use of other software. I’d like to see Blender Render reign supreme!

I’m biased towards Blender internal renderer for animation purposes. If you want to make pretty architectural renders that don’t animate the external renderer’s will do a great job. You have to realize though that wil mean you need to spend time learning the material system of the specified external renderer.

External renderer’s don’t support at all or partially support:

• The compositing module
  • Material nodes
  • Texture nodes
  • Hair / strand rendering
  • Particles
  • dupliverts / dupliframes
  • anything else that I forgot

I personally don’t like working with external renderer’s because of the above mentioned limitations, the only external renderer I’ve worked with was YafRay because it was reasonably intergrated into Blender via a plugin. All the other external renderers including the new Yaf(A)Ray work through export Python scripts.

Maybe Blenders development wil gear towards easier integration of external renderers in the future where you have more control over the features of the renderer and more support of Blenders features in the external renderer engine.

One of the last things I want to do on a tight shedule for an animation project is screw around with Python scripts and manually editing material settings in a text editor.

Thanks fellas that helps a lot. Being a n00b and having other things goin’ right now, I think that I will leave the external renderers alone for the time being if I have to learn new stuff to get it to work(I have a hard enough time with what I DO know :-P). Thanks Again!

• Particles
  • dupliverts / dupliframes

I added in the patches for LuxBlend to support the dupli features and particles so that is moot at this point. In Lux, you don’t need nodes, it is all built right in. Nodes is just an after thought for Blender to try and support features that are just kind of “added on”. Nodes are also buggy, some don’t work right with multiple processors, the texture node system can’t cast shadows if you use it from a particle system. The list goes on and on and that just wastes your time. You may go down a path thinking yeah, this is it only to discover, like I have many times, that Blender Internal render has bugs in it (hush your mouth).

The real question is why would you want to use Blender Internal? If you turn on reflection and glossy on Blender internal, you are at the speed of Lux, but without the benefit of it being light accurate.

Internal Renderer is best. I always use Internal Rneder. Seethis image.

I mentioned that external renderer’s only supported the listed features partially or not at all. So Luxrender supports dupliframes/dupliverts and particles and thats good to hear. But what about the other listed features?

And how do you access these built in features of LuxRender? Is it possible from within Blender or do you need to externally edit material settings?

I’ve never had any problems with it I couldn’t solve.

Thats only a minor grief. The texture node system is still very new so these type of things can be expected. Even so, does luxrender offer an similar system like the texture nodes that does cast shadow? If not then this really isnt an issue.

“Waste your time?”, you are obviously a big Luxrender fan so I’ll be gentle. Luxrender is not a viable replacement for Blenders internal renderer when it comes to the general Blender artist. How much time does it take to tweak lights and shaders to get your desired results when using Luxrender? An external renderer ads an extra layer of complexity to your workflow and unexpected suprises are bound to pop up at the worst time, now thats a real time waster.
Just missing out on Blenders compositor alone is reason enough to stick with Blenders internal renderer.

Rendering speed is not the only issue, ease of use and full support of Blenders features are equally important if not more important. I dont doubt Luxrender is powerful and can do a lot that Blender cant but that applies to a lot of renderer’s out there.
If these renderer’s are well integrated into Blenders interface I will be the first to switch, but as it is now Blenders internal renderer is the only real option.