Why use BMD Fusion if Blender has a compositor

I have a question. Is it worth it to integrate bmd fusion into my workflow for compositting. I am not sure because blender already has a compositor. What would the advantages of fusion be and what would the advantages of blender be. And if fusion is better, how should i use fusion with blender.

I see you didn’t receive an answer yet, so I’ll try my best.

I haven’t fully explored Blender’s compositing tools but I would say Fusion has more to offer in that regard.
Reactor alone, which is a hub where Fusion users can find and add new tools to Fusion, is quite something. Some tools from Reactor are really powerful like XGlow, DepthDefocus, etc.

The tracker is really good too.

Some new fuses integrated from Shadertoy are something else, like this Plasma Volume
DCTL_PlasmaVolume Fuse - YouTube

In After Effects I’ve seen something similar only with Sapphire (which is very pricey). Obviously, it’s possible to achieve similar effects with some work but having it ready like this comes in handy.

There’s also the speed variable. I know Fusion is quite fast, I’m not sure Blender can compare.
But to give you an idea, speed-wise I prefer Fusion over AE when it comes to working with EXR files 32bit.

Then there are all the masking tools.

I personally prefer to keep things separated so I can focus on the main 3d aspects in Blender and finish the compositing in separate software.

Fusion can also generate 3d meshes, material, etc. It’s an actual 3d environment. And in this case, don’t expect something like Blender of course :slight_smile:
But it’s also useful to have such an option.

And then Volumetric Fog. Check this short preview, all in Fusion
BMD Fusion Mega Course - LeBuck’s Ring - E.20 Volume Fog - YouTube

Give it a try, there’s a free version.

Fusion is much, much, much faster than Blender’s compositor. You can actually interact with widgets and preview adjustments in real time, instead of having to punch a number into a box and wait 7 sec for it to refresh.

1 Like

I jump between Fusion and Blender a lot for work, so I’ll answer based on that experience.

For slap comps, I usually do everything in Blender. It’s easy to jump between the 3D view and the compositor to throw something together fast.

I usually move to Fusion when I’m doing serious compositing work. A lot of compositing tasks in Blender force you to jump between workspaces, when you can do pretty much all of those things from the same view in Fusion. You can A/B images quickly, color management is a little more elegant (but not quite as nice as Nuke), and it’s easy to group or create custom macros for custom functionality and save them to the tool list without having to remember to link or append into the file every time you open a new one. And, ultimately, there are more codec/config options for your final export than you get in Blender, which is essential when working on projects with other studios.

If you want to get into compositing seriously, I would recommend spending time in Fusion. It’s not as “industry-standard” as Nuke is but it’s widely used on features and series shows by small or mid-sized studios. Not to say you can’t learn the same thing in Blender, but it’s simply not quite on the same level speed and functionality-wise.