Why when you create a camera is pointing down by default?

The first thing I’m doing ALL THE TIME in Blender when I create a camera is rotate the camera on the X axis 90º, I have to do this everytime and it’s very anoying, who uses the default orientation pointing down? so weird behaviour. We’re working in a production and I have to setup several camera all the time and even if it’s not a big deal to rotate the camera 90º everytime I’m just guessing why they decided to set up the camera pointing down instead of straight.

I guess you could duplicate an existing camera instead of creating a new one?

It sets the camera orientation to face whichever view you’re in when you create the camera. Creating it while in the front view should help.

I don’t see what the big deal is, after creating i just Ctrl+Alt+Numpad0 to align it to the user view. And if the angle ain’t right, Shift+F.

As I said, it’s not a big deal but I don’t know why decided to set up like that, in response to your comments:

Krice: If I duplicate the camera and my camera has animation or other then I would need to delete all the animation before I can start from scrath.

Thoms7: that didn’t work for me, no matter what camera view I choice, when I create a camera always points down.

Pesho: too much extra steps, should be much straight forward.

For some reason whenever you add an object, they always point down as if we want to use top view. I dont understand this either. I can understand the lights being pointed down, but not 2D images, empties and cameras.

that didn’t work for me, no matter what camera view I choice, when I create a camera always points down.

Mmmh… That’s odd. It works fine here.

If you add it using the top menu, “Add” “Camera”, then it’s top-down
But if you have you mouse in a 3d viewport, press ShiftA and add a camera, it should definitely point in the same direction as the viewport.

True, but it helps set the correct view almost instantly instead of having to switch to camera mode.

Gwenouille, that works, thanks, anyway it’s kind of weird when you using the top menu.

Yes, I agree: top-down is kinda strange for a camera that’s not meant to be stuck under a plane or satellite.

I’d have it point along the -y to y axis as default.

Because they are depressed :frowning:

unable to work with blender because of this :frowning:

What do you mean abc123 ?

the convention for cameras is that x and y axis are the image plane and z is depth… blender has a “z up” coordinate system so a camera with no rotation faces the ground to follow the convention… common to architecture and cad where the ground plane is xy and z is height… whereas in visualisation and fx work the camera is xy and z is depth… go figure!

unable to work with blender because of this :frowning:

What do you mean abc123 ?

I’d guess that he means it’s no big deal…

For some reason whenever you add an object, they always point down as if we want to use top view. I dont understand this either. I can understand the lights being pointed down, but not 2D images, empties and cameras.

the default is to add objects with a world orientation and no rotation…

if you check out the editing tab of the preferences there’s an option for adding new objects aligned to view or aligned to world… it defaults to world which is often preferable for those working in the perspective view most of the time… but change it as you wish!

fix:
(in the 3d window)
1: create a camera
2: select it
3: aim your viewport at whatever you want the camera to look at
4: view->align view-> align active camera to view

(tip)
to see what the active camera is looking at:
1: select the camera, and
view->cameras->active camera

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”

Michael W got it right. The camera’s local Z-axis goes along it’s length. The default in Blender (as of 2.4something) is for new objects to have their axes aligned with the global axes.