Wich engine

I was wondering wich engine would be the best to export to from a BlenderArtists point of view.
The factors then should be the work to get it nicely to the engine and ofcourse how it would look in the engine.
I was thinking about Cryengine UDK or unity.

What would you advice me.

Thanks!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Cry engine will get you the best visual result, you dont even have to bake light maps to get meshes to look right. That said, Cry Engine is very difficult to learn and there is not a lot of resource material to learn from. Furthermore, depending on what you want to do with the art, you may be far more restricted by the cry engine (license agreements) as opposed to say UDK.

UDK is your best all rounder, it has a node based material system which allows for quite a bit of variety, but it still has that UDK look to it. I find it harder to get photo realism like results with it, and it also requires light maps to make the mesh work look good in a lit environment.

The easiest of all of them is Unity, but its graphics rendering are not nearly as good as UDK and Cry Engine. The license allows for you do whatever you want with the results commercially I believe, but to unlock more features with the engine you would have to pay for them (for example, to get it to run on a phone, you would need the phone module).

If you are just starting out for the first time, I would say go with Unity. Its the safest and easiest way to start, then work your way up to UDK and eventually Cry Engine. Doing the reverse might result in a lot of stress and face to desk moments.

CryEngine: (note Crysis 3 comes out today so everything seen below should start being available to users as well)

UDK:

Unity:

Future of Unity?:

Thanks, I’ve been looking at these for a while. maybe i’ll look for someone who knows these engines and wants to work with me.

Well, first we need to know for what you want to use the engine.

Is it for portfolio purposes to land a job, you’ll have to learn UDK or CE. But then you also have to drop Blender. Learn Max or Maya then. Because that is what the industry uses. And that’s what CE and UDK’s art-pipelines are build around.

If you wish to create your own commercial game as a small indie game developer, Unity is a good choice. It is easy to grasp and really artist friendly. But it costs a lot money. There is a free version but that one is not as advanced as the payed one. i.e. there are no post FX, realtime shadows, occlusion culling, lightmapping with GI, render to texture, etc.
If you’re short on cash and just started, Blender’s game engine is a good way to get started. But not the best choice atm, if you intend to make a commercial game. It’s not impossible. But way harder than with Unity.

Just forget to make a indie game with UDK or CE (which is not even possible with CE atm) if you don’t have a bigger team and a huge budget, plus lots of experiences. These engines are nice for ultra realistic graphics (given you are be able to create models in that quality) and epic cinematic sequences. But not really suitable for a small indie game.

Well, there are 3 FOSS engine one can use (there are more, but I’ve only worked with these, not to mention released one commercial game using one of them):

1. Darkplaces engine
  2. idTech 4 (Doom 3)
  3. idTech 4.5 (don’t what number idSoftware assigned to it, but it’s what Doom 3 BFG Edition uses)

Source code available, free to use for whatever you want (just comply with GPL v2 for DP Engine or GPL v3 for idTech engines for your code), no royalties attached.

Performance wise, Doom 3 BFG engine is the best to use. It’s heavily multithreaded (code base from Rage), OpenGL 3.2, GLSL shaders, has GPU skinning, GPU-assisted stencil shadows, Flash menus (kinda like Scaleform, but from idSoftware), robust networking, Steamworks hooks, XB360 and generic gamepad support, Linux and Windows platforms. Major downside - no tools to author content, no docs on how to work with Flash menus.

idTech 4 is (we use it now for Steel Storm 2, hopefully soon it will beat Doom 3 BFG engine in peformance (or at least will become equal to it) older engine, not threaded (well, sound engine runs on second core if available, to my knowledge), has ARB2 assembly shaders, not so good for net play, unless on LAN or broadband Internet (coop is playable with ping <150 and DM is playable at pings < 100). However, supports Win/Linux/Mac and has unfinished GLES2 Android port (which actually runs on Android, but not optimized); has all the tools to author content (and has Blender exporters).

If you have a savvy programmer, you could port file system / menus / tools from idTech 4 to Doom 3 BFG engine and have ultimate optimized and well tested engine, consoles ready and Steamworks ready.

And finally, Darkplaces engine (Steel Storm: BR is powered by it). Never mind it’s based off GLQuake. It’s been in the development for over 10 years, has robust OpenGL renderer, DX9 renderer and software rasterizer, it has outstanding networking. Supports lightmaps and real-time dynamic lights (pre-computed and truly dynamic). The list of features is here http://modding.kot-in-action.com/ , just add GPU skeletal to it and it will be complete :slight_smile: The downside is that not all the features tested in the field, tools are not centralized, lacking ragdolls (although the feature can be coded in scripting language); documentation, for the lack of a better word, is somewhat lacking.

One major advantage of all the engines I mentioned - they all come with fully functional game code (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Quake1). You basically can build a game using existing game code by just making new art assets. You have all systems and subsystems in place, created by idSoftware themselves. Years of experience and bunch of AAA hits back up those engines.

However, I’d only recommend them if you are going indie (scale of your future enterprise doesn’t matter; what matters is you will be making games). If you are aiming to join the industry and work for existing company, I’d strongly recommend going with what’s trendy - UDK. Also you might want to put Blender aside and learn Maya / 3DS MAX / Modo / Lightwave / ZBrush because in the industry no one cares for Blender. This is just the truth, not even sad.

P.S. Rage got Tool Kit released recently. It’s an awesome engine, but hardware requirements are steep and there is no way to get art out of Blender into Rage because of Modo / Lightwave centric pipeline (unless someone writes LWO exporter for Blender).

Thanks for all the replies guys! I don’t have any experience in Advanced programming. I’m quite good with gamemakers GML but thats alot different. Since i’m only 15 i’m not going to develop any serious games in the close future anyway.
But, I’m always interested in learning new things, so i will give maya or 3ds max a “Try” in the future, and fiddle around with UDK!
However for now, I’ve only used Blender for two weeks! so i’ve still got a lot to learn and a lot of fun coming.