Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8)

doesn’t look like you’re doing anything wrong. i just verified it appears to be an issue that crept into certain versions of the addon. when i test it with an older version of the script (which is the one i happened to have on my machine) it magically goes away. can you give this one a shot and see if it helps your issue?
wiggle_bones1_5_b14.py (47.7 KB)

1 Like

Yes! Partially at least, the wiggle bones no longer move out of place when starting and stopping in the middle of the animation with that version:

The baking remains a problem though, not sure why :thinking:

really weird. the last hack i can think of is to bake several loops of the animation rather than just one. ideally the later loops will have the clean loop point you’re looking for, or worst case, you could split and crossfade using the nla. against sucks that the regular techniques aren’t working for you!

one of the things i’d been trying to work on in my testbed for a wiggle rewrite was adding a user definable number of prewarm frames automatically calculated when baking for just these kinds of situations. but that rewrite is a beast so unfortunately i don’t have anything to share yet!

2 Likes

hi, sorry but you seem to have forgotten to answer my question. So, is your add-on licensed under the GPL GNU like Blender?

i don’t have any specific licensing that i’d considered. generally i’m sharing the stuff freely though :slight_smile:

1 Like

The python files which Blender add-ons are made of must be released under the GPL license.

If you want, you can read the “Sharing or selling Blender add-ons (Python scripts)” paragraph located at the bottom left side of the official Blender website: https://www.blender.org/about/license/

Often, this paragraph is added at the top of (GPL) python files:

# ##### BEGIN GPL LICENSE BLOCK #####
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
#  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
#  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
#  of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
#  Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
#
# ##### END GPL LICENSE BLOCK #####

Note that it is not required for them to be released under the GPL license, instead they must be released under a GPL compatible license:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Most open source licenses are compatible with the GPL, including popular licenses like CC0, FreeBSD, and Apache 2.0 (but not Apache 1.0).

This conversation is leaving the topic of this thread but this is kind of important:

This isn’t what “GPL compatible” means. You can’t take a GPL licensed product(such as Blender or it’s API) and change the license to a GPL compatible license.

You could integrate your own library that’s licensed with something that’s GPL compatible and your library wouldn’t become GPL’d(the combination would be though) but straight Blender python addons are, I believe, GPL and you can’t change it. That’s the copyleft/virus-like nature of GPL rearing its head.

from this discussion, that means, your add on can be used for commercial purposes? what I mean by commercial purposes is not selling the add on again, but using the add on to create commercial content (videos, photos, etc.)

That’s correct, you cannot change Blender’s license, because you do not own the copyright for the Blender code. However, if you did own the copyright for the Blender code, then you could relicense it to a non-GPL license.

Also, you can combine two different pieces of code (such as Blender and a Blender addon), as long as both the licenses are compatible.

Blender itself uses numerous non-GPL libraries, which is perfectly fine because they’re GPL compatible. The GPL does not require all of the code to be GPL.

That’s wrong. Even the Blender license page which xan2622 linked to specifically says “The GNU GPL license therefore requires that such scripts (if published) are being shared under a GPL compatible license.”

If you make changes to the Blender source code, your changes must be GPL. However, if you’re creating an addon then you’re not making changes to Blender’s code, you’re writing new code, so you can license it however you wish, as long as it’s GPL-compatible.

That’s how copyright works: if you write code, then that code is yours and you can license it however you wish. The copyleft provision in the GPL only applies if you’re making modifications to existing GPL code.

A license cannot take away the copyright of other people. The most that a license can do is prevent you from combining two different copyrights together.

That’s why even if you combine GPL and non-GPL code, it’s still possible to split the non-GPL code out and use it separately.

And that’s why it’s also possible for the copyright holder to release their code under multiple licenses at the same time, such as the GPL and a non-free license. The copyright holder always has full legal control over their code, the GPL cannot take away control from the copyright holder.

Except they have contradictory information on their GPL FAQ and state it multiple times:

What about add-ons or my Python scripts?

If you share or publish Python scripts they have to be made available compliant to the GNU GPL as well, if they use Blender Python API calls.

Can I sell add-ons for Blender?

Yes you can, but only if you provide the add-on and the sources to your clients under the GNU GPL license . The client then benefits from all rights the GPL offers; free to use it, or even distribute it when they wish.

(bold is theirs)

There have been many threads about this subject and many threads derailed by it. I’m not going to respond again.

from this discussion, if the add on blender must be licensed under the GPL or only need to be licensed under a license compatible with the GPL license. That means, add ons for blender are legal to use for the purpose of creating commercial content (such as videos, images, animations, 3D models, and so on but with commercial purposes or not) ? Is it true ?

Yes, you can use the add-on to create commercial content.

Any content you create with the add-on is owned by you, so you can do whatever you wish with it.

You don’t even need to put your content under the GPL, it can be whatever license you want (even a non-free license). That’s because you’re the copyright holder of the content you create, so you have full control.

However, if you want to sell or share the add-on itself, then you must respect the license of the add-on.

1 Like

Okay, I just wanted to make sure this time. This add on made by @shteeve legal to use to create commercial content as previously mentioned. That’s right?

Regardless of what has been discussed in other threads, the creator of the GPL disagrees with you. The FAQ is quite clear: if you run an interpreted program which uses GPL bindings (which is what Blender addons do), then the program must be GPL compatible, but not GPL specifically.

The GPL simply says “if you want to combine these two programs together, they must both be GPL compatible, and if they’re not GPL compatible then the copyright owner can sue you for copyright infringement”.

The GPL could have been written so that it requires the GPL specifically, but it wasn’t created like that, it was designed to only require GPL compatibility:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

If you still disagree, you are free to contact Richard Stallman and ask directly for his opinion on the matter. He is an expert lawyer and is the most experienced and knowledgeable person in the world with regards to the GPL.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. You can use any Blender add-on to create commercial content, including this add-on.

1 Like

ok, thank you very much everyone who has answered my question :grin:

1 Like

How can I enable collison for adult animations? Cant enable it is there any way to enable it?

hello, whenever I try to use the plugin on my rig this comes up in the console “TypeError: jiggle_post() missing 1 required positional argument: ‘depsgraph’” and my model is still stiff, any idea what I have to do to fi it?

what version of blender are you using?