Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8)

Hi, I tested it for a while, it works :smiley:
And then suddenly…it just stopped working, unchecking and rechecking the wiggle checkbox doesn’t help, how do I reset whatever that needs to be reset for it to work again ?

And since nothing works…I just randomly click the bake button (this is AFTER nothing work already) and I saw this:

I am using Blender 3.1.2.

the bake issue is a well known one. i’d posted a fixed version here:

sadly the larger issues with limitations and reliability are tough for me to find the time to investigate further right now. ideally i’d love to since i use the addon myself!

1 Like

Thank you.
Do you happen to have any info as to why the add on just straight up doesn’t work after you change the stiffness ?
Set it back to 0.2 and not even working anymore ;p

I installed “wiggle_bones1_5_b14_fix.py” tried the bake feature, Blender 3.1.2 and got this error.

oh right. there was another issue in how floats are not implicitly cast as ints that changed. dangit.

see if this works any better:

wiggle_bones1_5_b14_fix.py (47.7 KB)

as a last note, using the bake button isn’t even really necessary. there is a bake action functionality in blender that also exposes more options. i think ideally that is a better way to bake anyway!

4 Likes

Thank you @shteeve, that did it !
Blender’s default baking panel freaks me out, so many options and checkboxes…too much drama for me.

1 Like

It works in 2022, thank u

Hey there! LOVE the add-on and have been using it for a long time! You’ve done a great job! I’m running into a very weird issue though. I’m in Blender 3.2 and downloaded this version you listed (since the B20 version was not working), and it was working just fine but all of a sudden certain bones are not moving anymore. I have no idea why. I made sure there were no NLA strips or animation on the bones that need wiggle. There are no modifiers asides from a basic armature and I’m not sure what is going on with the model. I’ll include a link to the Blend file! I just finished rigging it and all that’s left is adding these wiggle effects, but it’s really hard with these issues.

Also, any plans to add collisions and update it for Blender 3.2? It was hard to find this page so I’m wondering if you plan on using a Github account for future iterations. Thank you so much for all your hard work!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ahhfg4p5vzy5ybc/Scylla_Decimated.blend/file

Hello, I have encountered that issue before, this is what I did:
1: Open the file and in that file, un-install the add-on.
2: Close Blender, open the file again and install the add-on.

I have no idea why it works for me this way, there might be better way to do this, but this was what works for me.

Hi, brother

First of all, i want to say thank you so much for this awesome add-on. But i have a problem i want to ask

After i toggle enable wiggle on the bones i want, they’re still not moving like some videos tutorial on youtube about your add-on (Like RoyalSkies’ video). I have follow some tutorial that explain your add-on but unfortunately there was no result

This is my one of the example :

https://youtu.be/zcgWQOg6JYQ

(Im sorry i uploaded it in youtube, im not able to upload my video in here because im new user)

I hope you read my reply here, and thank you so much for your hardwork

hope you have a nice day, bro

does this support blender 3.3? It just crashes when I try to go in pose mode.

hey man love wiggle bones here.
i have 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to lock certain axes?,
    like I’m using wiggle bones to add some secondary motion to flapping things on a character but i want only to react on the X axis given that the object is on a hinge, that’d be great, even more so if you could decouple the 3 axes and say i want X to be 100%, Y 20% and Z 0%
    now, i do love the simplicity of how it works now, so if you would do something like this i’d add it as an
    advanced option or something along those lines

2. why not put it on github and such ? it’d be easier to track and report issues and all that no?

in any case these are just suggestions based on my use of it, but I really love it.

It’s been working for me in 3.3, with the fix mentioned before for the bake feature

Hi, it is once again me. I’d love to ask, which version is the ULTIMATE, definitive latest version as of now? Possibly the one posted on July 27th? 1_5_b14_fix suffix.

hey im using the latest posted and im getting this error when trying to bake:

Yeah it just needs an update to explicitly cast bake ranges as integers. I can try to update that, although you can always just bake key frames the normal blender way (bake action operator)

for some reason when i do that it breaks the animation of the bone :frowning:

oh hrmm… there might be something even more fundamental broken, then. Using the wiggle bones bake button technically is just calling the standard blender operator for you, so if its failing on its own, it would likely still fail even with that integer issue fixed. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @shteeve I got this error on Blender 3.4 for Wiggle Bones 1.5.0

Is it possible to upgrade the addon so the API will pick up the bone baking?
I got this error when I pressed “bake wiggle bones”.

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\3DCompositor\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\wiggle_bones1_5_b16.py”, line 889, in execute
track.strips.new(action.name, action.frame_range[0], action)
TypeError: NlaStrips.new(): error with argument 2, “start” - Function.start expected an int type, not float

That’s been an error for a while, not just 3.4. Go to the py file it mentions and on line 889 replace it with
tracks.strips.new(action.name, int(action.frame_range[0]), action)

2 Likes