WIImote + blender = ?

(rdvon) #1

Ok, before you guys leave this thread thinking this would be insanely stupid way to control blender, listen to this.

The wii remote doesnt just detect motion up and down and left to right. it detects motion Forwards And backwards also. We’re talking about complete 3d movement with this little thing, and in case you haven’t heard, there are drivers that will let you connect and code simple scripts that will allow you to use the wii remote in such a way. all you need is a bluetooth dongle and a wii mote! Soooo… What happens if we add blender to this? A completely new and fun way to control blender and other 3d apps! :yes:

But this doesn’t have to just be a fun way, it could potentially be an easier way also. For instance, if we were to have it so that in sculpt mode holding the b trigger would grab the mesh, we could move have the wiimote move forwards and backwards to control the mesh in and out. No more complex key strokes! yay! :smiley:

This could also be used in 3d view to zoom in and out, to pan, etc.

What do you guys think? the possibilites are endless aren’t they? :wink:

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #2

Think SDL would need to support that Wii controller before it would work with blender.
http://www.libsdl.org/

0 Likes

(rdvon) #3

Yes, but what are your thoughts on it? :smiley:

0 Likes

(FuzzMaster) #4
0 Likes

(Mmph!) #5

I think it is a great idea :slight_smile:

I love the idea of blender using alternate devices.

For a while there I was using Wings 3D, and my joystick+Joymouse software .
It was great on my wifes laptop, I could lean back and relax while I made models.
Nice for long airplane rides :smiley:

I bet that Wii thing would be pretty fun.

0 Likes