Wild Little World

Beautiful.

Outstanding work !

this is outstanding, iā€™m really impressed by how great the renders look. This is gallery material without a question

Gallery level work!

Brilliant work and very interesting theme, congrats :slight_smile:

five stars from me

Thanks for your answers!

Iā€™m really curious: how was animation exported to Max for rendering? What export formats were used? Can you explain briefly a little about that part of the pipeline?

Pointcache format, although there were certain problems, which I submitted in this bug report
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=469&aid=34456&group_id=153
At the bottom of the report, there are links to the exporter/importer for multiple objects (as the standard one does only one object at a time, and we had more).

This is beautiful and inspiring work. Nothing more to add. So amazing.

another great animation!

All of the aboveā€¦and then some.

:eek:ā€¦excellent workā€¦

Excellently Done.

I do have a question however, if you had access to 3ds Max, 3DS Max Vray and what appeared to be Krakatoa and Fumefx plugins, what made you decide to do all of that work inside of blender first? Why not just stick to a single platform from the beginning?

Jon Smith -
The long term goal was to leave Max and replace it by Blender. Basically, Max was used as a platform for Vray for rendering, and only this. Most of the work was done in other programs. There is a Vray version for Blender too. So why pay several thousand Euros for Max, just to run Vray.
Max has some serious issues and bugs, which are not beeing fixed nearly as fast as in Blender, bug reports are mostly ignored, the interface is slow to work (in my opinion), and many basic features (unwrap, skinning, showing the axes of bones in viewportā€¦) donā€™t work in a reasonable way without some plugin or skript (which is expensive too in many cases). Itā€™s an old program, full of weakly integrated patchwork plugins which were bought up, stuffed in and not developed since. The main advantage is that we had a worked out pipeline with Max including renderfarm setup, while with Blender some more experimentation would have been necessary for which in the end we didnā€™t have enough time.

I also had looked into Blender and Vray, but I could not get it to work with the demo. I have no idea why TBHā€¦the thing just would not run on my computer. I ultimately elected for Octane which is pretty amazing for itā€™s age and stage of development.

As for 3ds max, I have had the opportunity to get my hands on it for a short time. To me at least, it seems to have some amazing addons but the base version (in my opinion) does not seem to warrant such a steep price-tag. Thx for your reply. I was just a bit curious is all. :rolleyes:

If only fumefx and Krakatoa worked in blender :stuck_out_tongue:

A very beautiful animation, indeed! If I find the time Iā€™ll try to catch one of these with a microscope :slight_smile:

This is a great piece. The modeling and rigging are truly impressive and I love that you all used live specimens in addition to the electron microscope images.

Excellent!

great work, I love it!