Will better nurbs modeling workflow/tools eventually come?

I also remember rumors about nurbana implementation a decade ago.
From my observation, people regularry trying to handle Nurbs assaulting modeling chat, but then disappear after a week.
Also, Blender Studio doesnot perform any nurbs-related work, so such kind of tasks are expected to have low priority.

Also, people needs to remember that NURBS is not a walk in the park, but one of the most difficult coding subjects existing in the graphics programming field.

In the past, the last thing i remember is that some developer tried to do NURBS in Blender, but people complained that more advanced tech was available at the time, pressed the developer, and said developer ran away screaming from it.

Maybe a better aproach is to TRY and integrate some external library that encompasses the heavy lifting side of the work, and then teach Blender how to handle NURBS or similar tech.

Or maybe is better to ignore the entire situation. Keep people sane is king in these cases, i think.

4 Likes

This is what Plasticity developers did and managed to create a very efficient and high-end piece of software. Also notable to say that it took the CG world by storm, but it comes as no surprise by having a behemoth library behind the scenes handling all of the high-end problems, it just makes lives of developers easier to focus on the problems of usability and presentation rather than have to deal with Phd level of computer graphics problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasolid

The problem with Blender in this particular case would be that it can’t rely on third-party and closed library to provide key functionality. :thinking:

2 Likes