Will pay(pal) a coder for fixing a script

Hi.
Some years ago a talented Japanese guy who goes by the name of “Chromoly” wrote a script to give blender mouse gestures. This (among other things) allowed you to do a G, S and R key-press action by just wiggling your Wacom pen in the shape of a I, V and O on the screen. It has saved me millions of unnecessary key presses!!

The script is called “space_view3d_mouse_gesture.py”

Since version 2.6x of blender this script is throwing up an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “\space_view3d_mouse_gesture.py”, line 506, in modal
context.region.callback_remove(self._handle)
AttributeError: ‘Region’ object has no attribute ‘callback_remove’

I am not a coder - but commenting out the offending line gets the script to run but it does not redraw the screen properly.

Here is what I am offering:
Quote me a price for fixing this script so it will work with the upcoming 2.67 version and I will pay you for your work via paypal. What I require is for the script to be recoded to make it robust and not dependent on features of blender development that are subject to change.

The fixed script will be released back into the community.

Kind regards
Trevor J. Noble

seems that the context.region its nil or wrong object loaded and that method are dead probly…

The method has been deprecated and (re)moved for whatever reason (it’s mentioned in the docs).

Could you please post your copy of the script? I have one as well, (version 0.2.6) but it fails registering at a different point and I don’t want to waste my time fixing that issue unnecessarily.

What I require is for the script to be recoded to make it robust and not dependent on features of blender development that are subject to change.

The API supposedly is stable now, but I’m pretty sure they will still change around things with utter disregard towards addon developers, so nobody will give you any promises there.
(To any core developer who might read this: If you don’t have VERY good reason to make a change that breaks an addon, DON’T DO IT.)

Script attached

Attachments

mouse_gesture.zip (5.75 KB)

I’ve made the necessary changes according to r53207.
space_view3d_mouse_gesture.zip (5.74 KB)

As far as I can tell, it works now.

Yes you’ve done it!!! The script works now.

You have completed your half of the deal - now I do mine.

PM me your fee and payment arrangements.

kind Regards

Trevor J. Noble

Please donate a small sum of your choosing to the Blender Foundation - or better yet, consider joining the Development Fund.

Thanks once again.
Payment €100 to Blender Foundation completed via PayPal
Hopefully I can call on your expertise in the future if blender breaks the code again :rolleyes:

Payment €100 to Blender Foundation completed via PayPal

Great!

Hopefully I can call on your expertise in the future if blender breaks the code again :rolleyes:

You can PM me, I’ll see what I can do.

I find this whole interaction heartwarming and it has restored my faith in humanity.

a little off topic - do you guys know what happened to chromoly and filiciss ? they made great builds some time ago… just curious… )

Chromoly has been silent since the blender 2.5 rewrite era.
His legacy lives on in his scripts. Without his active engagement they will never make it to the “approved list”
Incentiveise his more active contemporaries to update them and we all benefit.

Thanks for this! I started out learning Blender in 2.49 and liked the gestures. I never could understand why it wasn’t implemented in 2.5. I got used to doing things the new way. The other day I was playing with some old blend files in 2.49 and remembered why I liked gestures so much, especially with a tablet.

there is an addon for this?

I agree with this.