Will something be done about Blender's slow undo system?

I run Blender 2.8 from an SSD. I created a scene with 1000 cubes with 1 sub div. Undoing anything takes several seconds. Seems like SSD doesnt and fast RAM doesnt even help.

1 Like

There’s also a bug that causes horrendous performance issues (undo being one of them) if using Subdivision modifiers on objects that have ngons present (even where these would normally cause no other issues - like inset cylinder ends and the like)

I aggree @JohnMalcolm1970 said. it’s a bug . just waiting for dev fix.

And like this feedback , please post on https://devtalk.blender.org/ or https://developer.blender.org. bcz all blender dev on it .

If got create 1000 cubes with python code , i will try to test it. :joy:

1 Like

Hi, how did you create the 1000, if I use applied arrays I have no lag.
Even with 2 subdivisions about 0.5 seconds.

Cheers, mib

Import kitbash , TechHeavy.fbx . 216 MB

In blender , Very slow opening (210 sec - 3mins 30 sec) , undo( 30 above sec) no responds

In C4D R19, fast opening(17 sec) , undo (0.2 sec) — Winner

C4D is more faster than blender of 92%.

4 Likes

Just usual alt D instances

I run Blender on an NVME SSD (program and working files) and 64gb ram.

The undo is as slow as fark for me, too. I’m really impressed by all the new features in Blender 2.8 but I can’t help but be a little disappointed by this performance. I’ve started using the undo history tool simply because it takes ages to step back sequentially.

Perhaps when 2.8 goes gold the devs can spend a bit of time focusing on pure performance improvement.

Hi, may be it is better to make a cross post to https://devtalk.blender.org/c/blender
with example files or video.
The developer rarely look in to the forum here.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

You cannot compare the FBX loading times, that’s normal, the FBX importer in Blender is a python script that don’t use the Autodesk FBX SDK for license reasons, it will be slow unless it’s ported as a C++ module inside Blender, and even in that way I think it would not be easy since it cannot use the Autodesk SDK.

On the other hand, what you can actually compare is the undo time, and YES, in blender doing a simple transform undo in a complex scene is super slow, and i’m all in to ask for improvement, in fact you can show your support in this devtalk thread:

Cheers!

Because many kitbashs are FBX file, and I don’t know fbx is the Autodesk FBX SDK for license before. I’m newbie.

Not sure how to make a test for Undo . just count seconds of move some steps and undo.

Yeah. I recommend guy goes on devtalk talkabout performance issue .

I haven’t found the undo system in current builds of 2.8 unstable, but it is slow and this can be traced back to global undo’s roots as a hack back during 2.35’s development.

Based on what I read from Beerbaron, the 2.35 global undo was a quick hack that simply made a version of the .blend file that was then stored in memory, when you undid something, the file loads and replaces what you had before.

In a way, it was not implemented properly (which led to major issues when new things like sculpting was added) and work to improve on it and to redesign it was not seen until late in 2.7x when single-stack undo was introduced. The single stack undo is designed to introduce a system that is capable of something much better than before, but the devs. don’t see it as a clear priority for 2.80 (so it might not see commits building on it until 2.81 at the earliest).

To conclude, Blender for a long time has not been “that 3D app. that doesn’t even have undo”, but it’s only recently moving from perhaps having one of the worst undo systems you will find in modern computer software.

Thanks for history about undo system in blender .

I think that in Blender 2.8 has changed many UI, UX, and add more functions ,this high priority than performance. I understand it .

As user, we just can feedback , push blender dev to fix it, and wait for fixed. Or choose other 3d software.

Or hire a dev to fix it :slight_smile: many studios do that, like Theory Studios or Tangent Animation, so it depends on your possibilities, in the end the source code is there and anyone can contribute :slight_smile: this is something unique to Blender, if you really need something changed or fixed you can hire a dev and solvent by yourself :slight_smile:

Ahhh~~~~if I will hire dev team, I suppose to re-distribute blender, like Android .:rofl:

I did not say a dev team, just one developer to tackle an specific feature, it’s a common practice in studios that use Blender and can afford it, we have many features thanks to this :slight_smile:

Emmm, That’s a good idea.

I’m on the modeling stage , very beginning stage. I don’t exactly what I need to hire a dev.

most situation is discovering add-on. buy or using free :rofl:

And I thought about it that request ,not hire a dev for good idea add-on. but I’m not sure if it’s possible. whatever dev to free or sell.

If you need an addon of course you can do that also, there are tons of devs out there, just go to the scripts section here and ask for a dev :slight_smile:

The beauty of Blender for studios (but not only for studios) is that having the source code at hand you can customize it to your needs if you have the resources or the knoeledge, that applies for the Blender part, the script part can be done in any other software too :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Yes. I suppose to do that on 2020.

It’s really nice people on BA and devtalk. I’m really enjoy it . Even I often complain blender, even I often ask a very beginning basic stupid question, :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

@Jacques_Lucke confirmed that this is indeed a problem: T63882 and @brecht created this design task: T60695 with normal priority.

So, I created a Right-Click Select post, vote up and comment if you think this is an important issue and deserves a higher priority.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Turning off global undo would speed things up? If that’s the case how the undo’s behaviour will change without the global undo?