Windows 10 and Blender,3Dsmax and games

Hia guys,today a little windows sign popped up on my screen offering me to sign up for windows 10 download once its out.
Since google wasn’t much of a help I wanted to ask around if any of you guys have intel on if Blender,3Dsmax,Zbrush and all that is going to run fine as well as games and steam.
all the best,thanks in advance.

There’s been some early reports that Blender more or less runs fine under Windows 10 (not perfect, but not in a disastrous way either).

Though I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of dev. activity fixing Win10 specific issues until we start seeing developers upgrade as well (which I don’t think any has done yet since it’s still in preview).

People had the same questions about Win8 (from Win7) and that turned out fine, for me anyway. Microsoft would catch seven kinds of hell if Windows 10 didn’t smoothly transition from Win8, and that kind of negative publicity can kill stock prices, so I doubt it will just refuse to run the programs you’ve already got working.

That being said – they are giving it away for free so maybe that’s their excuse if things don’t go as planned.

If we can get openGL -ES working (shader pipeline) and touch 1 and touch 2 events, we could see blender working on surface, and Android…

I have seen tablets with decent gpu/Arm combos that can run blender,
and also it will open up android for selling blender games…

Also, I just noticed, the last Win7 update for me placed a new “get Windows 10” button in the notification bar.

Reading on another site, it basically gives you a reserved spot for having the files downloaded to your hard-drive so when the system is officially released, you will have the option to install it.

I think Windows 10 is going to be Windows 8 with a few more options. They’re giving it away to keep people from switching because Windows is the most expensive of the big three. Windows 8 was friggin expensive, especially considering the price of other OSs. They’re just trying to compete.

I doubt that Windows 10 is going to be especially buggy. It’s not especially innovative.

To be honest, I’m thinking about giving it a try. I was really angry with Microsoft for the security key fiasco that they pulled on Linux. I’m still using Windows 7 because of it. This new behavior is something that I can get behind though. Force has become service to some extent. I can appreciate that. I’m actually surprised by it. Maybe skipping Windows 8 was enough.

From what i read from a Microsoft article, when installing win10 it will perform a check on you’r computer to see if it’s the software installed are compatible, if not at the end of installation, will be showed a list of software with problems. At this point you can choose to uninstall them or keep them installed. But as said in other post, i don’t think there will be problems for the installed software, preview builds of windows are provided also for developers, so they can keep software compatible.

ಠ_ಠ don’t tell me what to do, Task Manager.

If you’ve seen all of the dev. shots, it looks like they are looking at what worked for Win7 and Win8 and putting them together.

The Metro stuff in Win10 for instances feels much more integrated into the desktop environment and won’t give such a jarring difference as a result. Plus, pressing the “get Windows10 button” is not going to lead to a forced install once the final version is out, but will simply download the files to your machine so you can install when you’re ready to switch (and you would want to do it soon if you want to get the full version for free instead of a trial).

On top of that, if the upgrade is to the home edition, 100 dollars will get you the pro pack which will essentially add the pro features to your copy.

It’s Windows 8 with an option of Metro in the tool bar. It’s a stupid design in my opinion. I think they should have went the other way and made Metro the start menu. It handles screen real estate much better which makes it more visible for PCs and touch compatible. They should have just went with a layered menu instead of a horizontally tiered menu. It’s a simple solution that didn’t occur to them.

So yes, I’ve seen them.

If it were me, I would “wait at least 3 months, maybe 6” before installing any new operating-system upgrade. (On my Mac, I’ll probably install OS/X Yosemite in early July.)

“Computer software like fine wine: let it age.”

… and there is, of course, a very-serious technical reason for this adage: “computer software is frighteningly complex.”

No matter how “good” the respective teams are (and the folks in Cupertino and(!) in Redmond are “the best of the best” …), a very-large number of defects are going to surface in the first few months post-release. Therefore, “let someone else deal with them.” Instead of “bleeding” alongside the “bleeding-edge people,” sit patiently on the sidelines and watch them bleed. :slight_smile:

Let someone else figure out if there are issues with Blender, and let someone else scream about them until they are resolved. “Meanwhile, you have renders to do …” C’est la guerre …

It all depends on who you would trust more to helm your OS experience, Satya or Linus.

Remember that Microsoft recently had a CEO change and their new guy has an open mind towards Open Source and user opinion. Meanwhile, Linux users are still waiting for the day where they no longer have to hunt down dependencies for certain programs and no longer have to use the console (which has been mostly obsolete in Windows for 20 years).

Spoken like a true Mac user.

@Ace

It all depends on who you would trust more to helm your OS experience, Satya or Linus.

Remember that Microsoft recently had a CEO change and their new guy has an open mind towards Open Source and user opinion. Meanwhile, Linux users are still waiting for the day where they no longer have to hunt down dependencies for certain programs and no longer have to use the console (which has been mostly obsolete in Windows for 20 years).

There is a third option; you being “at the helm”. The console isn’t a bad thing just because you don’t care for it. There is a lot of complexity that is bypassed with its usage. Apt finds and installs almost all dependencies. I haven’t searched for dependencies in years. When it comes to user friendly and secure application installation, Linux is the one to beat.

Plug and play has its issues too.

Windows 10, I had the technical preview and everything ran fine (even the windows 8 drivers for my dual-graphics setup. The manufacturer hasn’t even updated them for 8.1).

I vastly prefer it to windows 8, and it I think it does take many of the good bits of windows 7 and combine them with some good bits of windows 8.

Things I like:

• Start Menu is back
  • Runs pretty fast
  • Does what you’d expect
  • Can put metro apps in windows on the desktop (sometimes)
  • Multiple desktops (yay, finally I don’t need virtuawin)

Things I don’t like:

• Adds in the search menu if Cortona is disabled
  • Massive buttons (on my 1366x768 screen)
  • Still feels a lot better on a touch screen than a desktop
  • Uses a tonne of RAM
  • Ubuntu booting from a cold start is faster than Windows 10 fastboot on my machine!

Things I don’t see the point in:

• Cortona needs the internet to work, and is pretty useless.

Linux users are still waiting for the day where they no longer have to hunt down dependencies for certain programs and no longer have to use the console

Me, I wouldn’t give up the console for anything. It Ubuntu told me they’d removed the console, I’d stop using Debian-based-distro’s and move to Arch.
The console has it’s place.

Would you give up tying word documents for drawing pretty pictures? For technical reports? I doubt it.
That’s how many user interfaces feel to me. If you’re running a server with limited resources, don’t bother starting a remote desktop - SSH will get stuff done faster. If you’re trying to create a system for pushing builds of a website to a server, write a 30 line script. If you’re in software development, a console is so unbelievably useful - debugging, prototyping, etc. etc.

Also: which is faster:

• Searching the web, downloading and installing a registry editor to tweak some part of windows
  • Searching the web, copying and pasting a line of code to tweak some part of Linux

But then, UI’s can be great. I wouldn’t dream of doing 3d modeling from a console.

Dependancies? Anything from the repo’s is fine, 90% of maintained .deb files are fine. I haven’t had a dependancy problem in years (apart from Skype: made by Microsoft, needs the 32 bit libraries). Anything bleeding edge or ancient and yes, there will be a problem. Same as running a windows XP program on Windows 8, it simply isn’t going to work. The fact you can get it to work by resolving those dependencies is pretty amazing actually. (It tells you why it won’t install rather than just installing and not working)

I recently read that Windows 10 Home edition will not have the option to defer updates, automatic updates is the only available option. I wonder how this will play out for people on metered connections? I mean say you’re on your last gig for the month and Windows starts downloading a big service pack. Another scenario, say you haven’t connected your tablet in a while, decide to check your email on your friends metered connection and, unknown to you, Windows starts downloading 600 megs of updates.

Hopefully Windows Firewall can still block Windows Update.

Automatic updates have been going on since the days of Windows XP, I’m not really sure how this would be ‘new’ for home users. Usually you want to have them so you can be sure your data is as safe as possible from hackers and from Malware.

Unless you go on marathon binges of HD video watching, the data limits you have for home connections in much of the country shouldn’t be a major issue.

People doing the free upgrade promo will be able to do a clean install if they need to or want to.

Hopefully if you do this (for various reasons), you’re smart enough to move all your files to an external hard drive first.

I think the console is underused in Windows, especially in the more recent releases. I still use it for very basic tasks including ‘ipconfig /all’ to get the same information I would by going through a ton of GUI elements. It’s quicker and much more efficient to do basic tasks like that. It’s also useful for displaying information and the progress of things such as the installation of software, rather than relying on a spinning circle which tells the end-user absolutely nothing. People forget as well that behind complicated GUI’s, there’s always that command-line firing off instructions without the user ever noticing; the GUI doesn’t replace the CLI.

@Ace: Automatic updates has been an option for a long time now, but you could also select to do manual updates or let Windows Update notify you when updates become available so you can decide when to install them and which ones to install. Starting with Windows 10 only pro versions have those options, home edition has no options for manual or deferred updates, the updates will be downloaded and installed as soon as they become available which, I can assure you, can be a big problem on metered connections.

Moreover, for instance, I recently had a problem with an update on my tablet that broke the accelerometer driver after installing the update the automatic screen rotation feature always thought the device was rotated 90 degrees more than it was so it would display landscape when physically oriented in portrait and portrait when physically oriented in landscape. I resolved this by going into the device manager and rolling back the driver, but if automatic updates are on will it not just keep downloading and installing the new broken driver?

I guess that would happen, but it seems like a big oversight. And Pro only? I would hope enterprise editions would also have manual updates too. But if the free ‘upgrade’ is going to lose features then I’m not interested. I always review and manually install updates, doesn’t matter what OS it is.