Windows 7 ends!

…so does this mean a large Exodus of folks to Linux now? :slight_smile: Anybody here doing it, or know of anyone? :slight_smile:

I’ll take an unused Win7 license, am happy to trade it for a Linux license. :wink:

still using win7, no amount of microsofts middle-fingers will get me to move. unless in the case of win-xp, where win7 proved to be the superior option.

currently, my newest pc runs win10 and its still so far ahead of linux its hilarious. the few little bothers in 10 are nothing compared to constant workarounds and headaches of linux. (im looking at you, mouse acceleration)

1 Like

Win is ahead of Lin?? Really? I’d be dead curious to know HOW…

Blender runs and renders quite a bit faster on Linux, though.

It is worth the hassle relearning and putting up with the annoyances, imo.

I’d be interested in this being re-tested after TBB got integrated into the Windows builds, that should have given it some speedup.

Wide gamut HDR?

What is that?

https://developer.blender.org/D6218

1 Like

I dont have linux here right now but I can attest that blender on windows caught up.

I actually do not know what the big fuss is. Windows 10 is actually maturing well and I am a macOS guy.

True their forced update stuff is obviously a major pain when it breaks your PC as updates have.

I’d love to jump to linux. The one big problem is that I use a ton of software like ZB and Photoshop that doesn’t run natively on linux. I have no desire to run mission-critical soft through emulation.

I’m a fan of linux and I use it on my personal laptop. If it wasn’t for work software, I’d have ditched Windows years ago.

I don’t know if CUDA works correctly under linux. I know a freind of mine who is a linux major was complaining that he couldn’t use his tablet for 8 months due to a driver problem. That would be a full-on deal breaker here!

1 Like

I would say this is the main problem for Linux not taking off and then the chaos of distributions.

1 Like

Exactly.
Most of the Painter suite run through linux. Blender works (suposedly) even better through linux than Windows. It’s all the other stuff.

Another consideration is that now that Adobe have gobbled up Alegorithmic, I wonder how long those linux versions are going to be a thing.

Most cited reason to move into win10 is some supposed security matter, but that’s MSBS – Microsoft Bullshit. It permeates their products, their customer support and the entire windows API.

Linux, if it wasn’t so hellbent on NOT being able to properly run software I use, would be an option.
So screw it, I’ll just have to crank the auto-containment to paranoid level if things get serious with malware in the future, but as it stands now and probably for a couple more years, win7 is just fine.

From a UI and stability standpoint Windows 10 is great. I even like the forced updates because if I’m not forced to I don’t do them regularily enough. I used it many years without any complaints in that regard.

If the speed of Blender is the same as on Linux now it appears that the only reasons for Linux are Microsofts data mining, all the adds crap you have to turn off in the beginning and ideological (open source ↔ proprietary ) reasons.

Anyway, I wouldn’t move back to Windows now that I am used to Linux because the whole data mining issue is increasingly bothering me. Not only in operating systems but in general.

You still can find many post win10 UI artifacts and I still have to say from a usability point (setting up shared networks and such) win10 still is windows when compared to Ubuntu or MacOS.

But win10 is also not really the old windows anymore too. I never crashed it. XP and win7 I did.

The data mining is true - but I am not sure to what degree this really can have an impact. I feel chrome is more concerning in this regards.

Er - what’s that??

You guys take a look at all this stuff? :

Brother - Win will still TAKE MORE SYSTEM RESOURCES THAN LIN, probably a TON more if you’re using a lean and mean distro like www.bodhilinux.com or www.elivecd.org !!

Also:

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

TBB will cut down the time of BVH building closer to what linux has, however gcc/lang still generate slightly better code for cpu side rendering with cycles ( Looked into it for a while i’m leaning towards blaming the inliner , which you sadly have very little control over with msvc ) , so there’s a 10-15% difference there last i measured.

1 Like