Windows Tablet changes (Testers Needed: Wacom, Huion, XP-Pen, etc.)

I need help making sure that changes to Blender’s tablet handling doesn’t break existing behavior. The test is just to ensure pressure works for Windows Ink for as many tablets as possible.

The build below intentionally disables Wintab to simplify the test.

Questions for testers

1. What tablet do you have (e.g. Wacom Bamboo)?

2. Is Windows Ink enabled in your tablet preferences (see image below).

3. With your currently installed Blender, if you set Blender’s Tablet API to Windows Ink (requires restart) and draw with Annotate (or Grease Pencil) does pressure work?

4.With this build, if you set Blender’s Tablet API to Windows Ink (no restart necessary) and draw with Annotate (or Grease Pencil) does pressure work?
- If there is no pressure, is your tablet set to mouse mode?

Hi Nicholas,

1. Huion Camvas 13
  2. It’s enabled
  3. Pressure works
  4. The pressure works

Happy Coding!

1. Huion H950p
  2. Enabled.
  3. Blender 2.91, windows Ink API - pressure work, but the 2 shortcut buttons on the pen didn’t work.
  4. The pen pressure and the shortcut buttons are working fine!

I also checked Wintab on a recent 2.92 build and it’s working fine, I was having some problems on an earlier build but it seems to be fixed now.

Can you add windows ink to last official 2.79 build?

I run the latest Blender on Pop OS (Ubuntu 20.10 based) on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Gen 3 Tablet which uses the kernel drivers and works well with Krita, which is what I use the pen for and occasionally testing touch in Godot. Am I right in assuming that this is for Windows drivers only? Asking as I would love to see an improved touch interface/GUI for Blender without having to rely on mouse and keyboard, which kind of defeats the object of using my PC in tablet mode. The only thing touch does is one finger box select, no touch keyboard, no pinch to zoom, no nothing. Pen works with sculpting, painting and grease pencil, but I have to have my keyboard and mouse attached to do anything, so just plug in my Wacom instead…

So…

1. XP-Pen Deco 02 pentablet
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. Yes

HTH

Looks like answer is yes its only for windows. But if he drops wintab, pen pressure will stop working in linux.

Changes to Wintab should not effect Blender on Linux.

Hi, sorry for late reply. Thanks for clarification. Can you add windows ink support for last official 2.79 blender version ?

huion kamvas 22+ , sometimes blender starts to to jump the view when im using middle mouse button on the pen , it scrolls smooth like it should for a second or two and then the camera jumps out of the view port. i then have to use the mouse to get it back. A RESTART FIXES IT. maybe thats a hint.

And it looses connection to the penpressure and high res wintab regularly. Krita devs said thats huions fault but clipstudio and photoshop dont have that problem, so there should be a fix .

No, its a mess microsoft left. Wintab/windows ink bull$hit. Blender 2.79 dont know windows ink and in newer os, win10 and win11 there is no support for some of wacom devices or devices that use older wacom tech. Basicly pen is identified as finger and os waits for movement to determine if its a swipe or click. This creates little lag and mess interaction in blender 2.79. 2.80 works fine cause it uses newer API.

I keep windows ink off. When enabled click drag has a noticeable delay before registration ( a very sudden jump from point of touch to current pen position)

It’s unusable for sculpting. I am on 293 with deco pro m

thats not the problem i described … i use wintab not windows ink, and blender 3.0

yeah thats the issue, i get this on surface pro and cube mix plus (both are wacom emr screen based tablets). Deco pro should work fine, why did you turn off windows ink?

@ulf3000 thats different kind of problem i guess than

Funny I tested it again and the delay issue is gone with ink on. Most advice I see when tablets acting oddly is to turn off windows ink.

The whole system feels like it was designed for note taking.

Hold for right click, which makes stroke not responsive. Dabs and short strokes all ended up as a dot. apps behaves weirdly.

The option to turn it off is only available in control panel. Ew

I did try surface pro 3 for drawing once, and the pressure curve floor is quite high. I didn’t find options to configure it. Eventually the digitizer gone ghost touch and I had to turn it off.

Later on I also got a Wacom emr laptop but the experience is also terrible. 4096 levels of pressure but it starts at midway. The screen also gone slight scratchy just after a month of casual use.

Also wobble lines. Line art is impossible on those.