Wine by Candlelight

Scroll down for updates.

http://www.geocities.com/citi_stars/wineglass.jpg
If image doesn’t load try pasting link in browser.

Had some trouble with IOR for the glass stem. That’s why there is no distortion. Don’t know why the reflection on the glass base isn’t smooth. I have subsurf turned on. I was thinking of puting a window in the back wall and maybe a plate and silverware on the table to add more to the scene.
What to you think?
Crits please…

I like it! The candles and the candle holders are really good. With the glass, you definately got to figure out what is up with the refraction. The whine in it also looks a little…iffy. Make it a little transparent (and a little refraction on that wouldn’t hurt either). Did you try Set Smooth with the glass? It is in the Edit Buttons.

The shadows are very good. Do you have radiosity turned on? Or did you just use multiple lights? The reflections in the table are good, too. Maybe you could add some scratches to the table using a bump map with some thin lines, unless you like it the way it is. :wink:

I am looking forward to updates.

-Laurifer

I think you’ve got a cylinder as base of the glass, and subsurfed it, so the triangles are deforming the whole base. Try pressing ALT+J after first selecting all vertices in edit mode. I really like the candles and textures tho. Blend on! :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t worked on this in a while. I made several adjustments since the original post:
Softened shadows
Created particle systems for the candle flames
Remodeled the wineglass
Semi-figured out the IOR (could still use some tweaking)

http://www.geocities.com/citi_stars/Wineglass2.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Why would a room that bright have lit candles, make it look candle-lit with a yellowish light from the flames.

Haven’t you ever had candles lit with other lights on?

The wine looks as if it had no volume. Instead it looks bowl-shaped to me.

the candle holders look rlly gd 8)

Do you have any ideas how I can make the wine look better? I tried messing with the IOR and Ztrans vs Ray trans. But I assure you it has a top surface and is not a bowl. It is a separate mesh from the glass.

I made a quick test with IOR set to 1.33 (refraction index of water) and it looks okay to me. My only problem is the color. Because Blender offers no color filtering for transparent materials, the color becomes more and more faded with increasing transparency.

Image link
Blender file

Do you have any ideas how I can make the wine look better? I tried messing with the IOR and Ztrans vs Ray trans. But I assure you it has a top surface and is not a bowl. It is a separate mesh from the glass.[/quote]

How about a menisucus? You may not actually see the menisucus in practice but it may give the illusion of more depth. I’m also sure, looking at my wine right now, that it has a harder specularity than that especially with the reasonably bright lights you have in the room.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I’ll give them a try and post the results.

Please stand by…

The glass and the candle flames are looking much better. But, I have to agree about the wine looking strange.

-Laurifer

Ok. I fiddled with it some more and am out of ideas. I think it’s time to put this one to bed for now.

What exactly is a menisucus? I’ve seen posts about it a while back but can’t pinpoint what it looks like from the examples. Can someone post a before and after of the same shot, one with a menisucus and one without?

Maybe I’ll come back to this project if I ever learn Yafray. Thanks again for all the comments.

http://www.geocities.com/citi_stars/Wineglass3.jpg

In a nutshell it’s like this, you look in a cup and the liquid makes a slight turn up or down at the edge of the cup. That’s a meniscus.