wine & cheese

Hello everyone!
I would like to know, if this result of wine and cheese are okay, or what would you change… I was thinking about making few more ‘imperfections’ in cheese and maybe changing DOF. But for now, it’s finished :wink:

1 Like

Very nice composition. I love the lighting and the warm color scheme. It looks almost like it’s out of a magazine. The wine glass and brie look excellent. Only a few things jump out, and they seem like easy fixes.

1. The holes in the block of swiss seem off somehow, perhaps they are too large relative to the block. Not sure.
  2. The metal knife is a bit too angular at spots and might need the gloss tweaked a bit.
  3. The cork seems off in scale. Too small and too sharp of a taper.

But these are nitpicks really, it’s an excellent scene. Nice work.:slight_smile:

And welcome to BA!

Nice work.
But the bottle needs more work.

Indeed, you should add more DOF. If an image is too blurry it gets annoying to watch. Try staring at it for 2 min. and you’ll know what I mean.

@blenderallday, I even did not pay attention to the cork… You right, it’s too small :slight_smile:
And the knife… what about making the wooden ‘hand’? it’s a good idea? I found this metal looks like plastic :confused:
and P.S - it’s really nice to be here :wink:

@tahnk, what do you mean? Probably that is completely black after using compositor…

Thank you for all advices and tips!

@blenderallday, I even did not pay attention to the cork… You right, it’s too small :slight_smile:
And the knife… what about making the wooden ‘hand’? it’s a good idea? I found this metal looks like plastic :confused:
and P.S - it’s really nice to be here :wink:

@tahnk, what do you mean? Probably that is completely black after using compositor…

Thank you for all advices and tips!

I can’t visualize what is the purpose of the glass bottle behind the wineglass in a “wine and cheese” scene. It doesn’t really belong here.

Nice warm lighting and good composition.
The ‘blue cheese’ in the background is too perfect of a wedge - some crumbles would fall off it and wouldn’t be so sharp at the point.
I think the purpose of the wine bottle in the scene is appropriate, however, a label on it is needed indicating the type of wine. A cotes-du-rhone or burgundy would be appropriate. But this would be difficult with the current composition and amount of DOF.
I also recommend thinning the top of the wine glass - it appears a bit thick to me, but is still acceptable for the scene.

I agree with the comments about the cork. For a perfect scene, some labeling or markings on the cork is needed.

Otherwise a very nice scene - I like the looks of the swiss cheese.

Only two cavils: the blue cheese edges are too sharp. The sharp edge works for the swiss cheese, but blue cheese is too crumbly to hold an edge like that. Looks off.

The other thing is that whatever-it-is to the left of the wine glass. It reads as a random texture that got into the image by mistake. I really haven’t a clue what it might be.

Well, three things: wine corks are longer and more cylindrical than conical. Corks for lab flasks are shaped like the cork in your image. Some of my wine corks even have a bit of a barrel shape, bellying out just slightly in the middle. All the wine corks in my small collection have the winery’s logo on them, and the length is 2 1/2 to 3 times the diameter.

Thank you all for advices! I’ll correct all of these. (How could I forget to add a wine label…).

Didn’t think there would be this many … https://www.google.com/search?q=french+wine+labels&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=erInUra_C4SXigLc04HQDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1651&bih=800

1: The knife handle looks odd. Make it more reflective, move it back so it’s blurred by DOF, make it “Smoother”. Idunno
2: The bread/cheese (it’s cheese isn’t it) in the bottom left, IMO, has too much contrast. I find it really nice that there’s a sort of gradient from light at the bottom todark at the top, and the bread/cheese “breaks” that. Making it reflect less and getting rid of that dark corner would look better to me.
3: The blue cheese, like everyone else said.

how did you make the holes in the cheese?

Looks like a detailed scene, why would you blur it so much? can hardly see the cheese.

swirlypillow - boolean modifier.
Robert Banks - I wanted the wine to be on the foreground, and just decided to add blur on the rest.