Wing 3D Vertices & Edge Display Problems | ATI Radeon 92

Hello,

I am running Wings 3d on Debian Sarge (Gnome 2.8.3) with the 2.6.8 kernel. My video card is a ATI Radeon 9200 with 128 MB of DDR ram.

Using the default display drivers, I have the following problems:

1. Vertices are not displayed at all
  2. Edges are not highlighted when selected.

Faces are displayed in both states and Wings 3d is quite fast using the default drivers.

I have downloaded and successfully installed ATI’s Linux drivers for my card. However the performance drops off significantly.

My questions are:

1. What do I need to do to get the vertices to show, and edges to highlight using the default display driver?

2. If my first question is not possible, what can I do to improve the performance of my card using the ATI Linux drivers?

If it helps, I also run Blender 2.37 and with the default drivers, everything works as it should and Blender is fast. When I use the ATI Linux drivers, it suffers a considerable slowdown just as Wings 3D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also asked for help in the official Wings 3d Development forum.

Thank you.

the maximum width for a point [vertex] or line [edge] in opengl is defined by the platform, it can be as low as 1 pixel.

[in other words, if it doesn’t work with mesa your only option is not to use mesa]

do you know what the “default drivers” are?

can you be more specific about how it is slow? are you getting 3d acceleration in the first place?

z3r0,

Thanks for your reply.

When this screen appears during installation, I select ATI for the driver. You cannot see it in this screenshot however.

Regarding opengl, can I manually adjust this?

When otating objets in the viewport or the viewport itself, the response is delayed and then once it responds it is jerky. Neraly unusable.

How can I tell you if I am getting acceleration? What would be a good test? If it helps, I am able to run NBA Live 06 under Windows XP with no problems. I have not installed Wings 3d or Blender under this fresh install of XP.

z3r0,

I can now confirm that reconfiguring XFree86 with the vesa drivers does work with my video card. Both Wings 3d and Blender work normally. However the CRT’s projection was misaligned once I rebooted using vesa.

I will play with various configurations to get an acceptable solution.

from Blender.BGL import * 
print "GL Vendor  ", glGetString(GL_VENDOR) 
print "GL Renderer", glGetString(GL_RENDERER) 
print "GL Version ", glGetString(GL_VERSION)

run that in the text window, the stuff printed to the console should tell you if you have hardware acceleration

so it saying mesa isn’t hardware acceleration, ati then perhaps… post what is printed here

[hardware acceleration isn’t enabled by the video driver option in the xorg config [alone]… If I recall there is another module that the config needs to load as well [dri if I recall]]

I don’t belive you are using the offical ati driver, but I think the oss one [the other one is called fglrx or something] will work on the 9250

z3r0 d,

I installed ATI Radeon Linux Display Drivers 8.18.8 and everything works as intended.

Previosuly before I posted, I had he prior version of the ATI drivers installed, but now I’m all set.

Thanks for your help.