Wings3d import plugin for Blender 2.57

This is an early release for testing

download from this page

This is a plugin for blender
currently to install you will need to copy this folder to the blender addons folder eg blender-2.57b/2.57/scripts/addons/
you will then need to enable the addon in file->user preferences

The following works

• geometry including ngons
  • vertex colors
  • uv coords
  • hard edges *
  • virtual mirror **
  • opengl material properties
  • multiple materials per face
  • external textures
  • lights ***

The following are not implemented yet

• cameras ****
  • internal textures *****
  • folders/hidden/editable/etc
  • holes
  • export
  • ui options

notes

•   to test this meshes have a subdision modifier attached to them by default

** currently only shows correctly if virtual mirror was on x axis… I have plans to make this work for
any orrientation but i haven’t implented them yet

*** to match the behaviour of lights in wings3d lights have a TrackTo constraint that points at the
light towards a dummy positioned at the wings aim point.

**** cameras will import but are not positioned correctly yet…

***** there doesn’t seem to be any way to create images from memory chunks in current blender pyhton api
will require either an api update or a workaround of writing image to disk first

hi, could you add a couple of wings files for testing please. :slight_smile:

What would be the point of that?
The files I send would be ones that I have already tested.
(with the possible exception of external textures - nothing should be platform dependent.)

I am guessing that you don’t use wings but want to test anyway. In which case I thank you for the time and effort you are willing to put in.

:slight_smile:
the point was, I don’t have wings3d, so without example files, how to test?
don’t worry, I’ll d/l wings, install it, save an object, import it to Blender, export a different object, open it in Wings.
if all goes well, I’ll let you know.

hi,
ok, there’s a few things going on in this script.

On Import, I get this error,
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=11851

The mesh did import, but was subsurfed & had set smooth turned on.
When you import, on the left of the screenthere’s a menu space for import/export scripts.
Maybe you could make subsurf an option in that panel.

The export does not show up in the menu, maybe have a look at some other i/o scripts that do both import & export,
the init file in the io_mesh_ply folder will show you how.
thanks for the script, it looks good so far.
Now that I have Wings installed I can help test it if you need.

Thanks for that - looks like things are breaking if the scene does not have images in it.
issue has been fixed.

I have subsurfs on because Wings3d is primarily a sudsurf modeller and the main feature that i need to test is mapping wings hard edges to edge creases in Blender. These only show up in blender when the object has a subdivision surface modifier.

Once I get all the features importing - I will have a look at implementing options. Thankyou for helping me :slight_smile:

The following works

*- geometry including ngons
*- vertex colors
*- uv coords
*- hard edges *
*- virtual mirror **
*- opengl material properties
*- multiple materials per shape
*- external textures ***
*- lights ****
*- folders/hidden/editable/etc *****
*- holes

notes

•   to test this meshes have a subdision modifier attached to them by default

** creates a dummy object to correctly orient the virtual mirror. Be careful to select this as well when moving the object

*** diffuse is mapped to diffuse, gloss to specular, bump and normal to normal. may load in multiple
copies of the same texture at present

**** to match the behaviour of lights in wings3d lights have a TrackTo constraint that points at the
light towards a dummy positioned at the wings aim point.

***** folders are implemented as dummy parents. hidden objects in wings are imported an hidden and non renderable objects in Blender

The following are not implemented yet

*- cameras *
*- internal textures **
*- export
*- ui options

• cameras will import but are not positioned correctly yet… can anybody tell me what tracking does

** there doesn’t seem to be any way to create images from memory chunks in current blender pyhton api
will require either an api update or a workaround of writing image to disk first