WIP-Avatar

Like GIF, etc…

What I want to do is use Blender to make an animated avatar, but Blender doesn’t have a GIF exporter (as far as I know).

Just wondering how I would go about making an animated image since Blender doesn’t seem to have GIF or another exporter that supports animation?

So far I’m just thinking about rendering out to jpegs and then putting the jpegs through some app that does support GIF or PNG and then rendering a final GIF/PNG.

Is that ok or are there better ways to do it?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You can use GIMP to create animated .gif files. I’m afraid that I don’t remember exactly how to do it, but I do remember that there’s some option where you import each frame onto a different layer, and then tell GIMP to output as an animation. Maybe its in the save options for a .gif?

Thanks. I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how to make something leave a trail?

And can I animate Rings/lines/stars/etc under the halo setting? :confused:

Thanks,

LC

J09 has it right, you import your individual images (think of them as cels) as separate layers. You have to include the GIMPGAP stuff when you download and install The GIMP, then you’ll have an animation entry in the (I think) scriptfu menu. You can preview the animation, mess with the timings, etc, then save as a gif. There are some tutorials online for just how to do it, I think that settings the timings is a little unintuitive but not at all difficult.

Have a look around for Microsoft GIF Animator. It was an add on to an old edition of FrontPage, but if you look you can still find it around.

It can import an AVI file and split it into frames for an animation. You can also reset frame timing, loops and other bits and pieces.

I also have Paint.Net, which can save as GIF. :slight_smile:

Here’s what I have so far:

I finally figured out how to get rid of the little spots on each of the spheres (specular :p).

I discovered I could make the cool neon thing by setting the spheres to Minnaert instead of Lambert and put the Dark at 0.1.

The gold thing is supposed to be an electron. Not sure what colors I should use for the protons/neutrons/electrons.

C&C please. :slight_smile:

I probably need more reference photos, but it’s kind of hard to get reference for atoms. :smiley:

Note to mods, this would probably be better in the WIP section, thanks.

Well, unless I can find a better reference pic, I’m going to try to make it look like this:

How do you make it fuzzy like the red and blue spheres in the inset? :confused:

Thanks

Have a look at composite nodes - they can fuzzy things nicely!

Cool thanks.

Also what about trails?

I want the gold thing (which is supposed to be an electron [or e-]) to leave a shiny trail as it orbits.

I thought of using particles, but they might move too much; I want something more comet like for the trail.

Thanks,

LC

EDIT: Don’t composite nodes work on the whole image though?

You can define different nodes for different layers, and yes, particles would work as a comet-like trail.

Hang on - I’ll see if I can rig something up…

This what you had in mind?
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/147/Helping/atom.gif

Blend File.

I probably could do the orbits differently, but ah well!

Dude, awesome!!

that’ll give me a great learning opportunity, thanks very much!:slight_smile:

EDIT: Wow, hope I didn’t waste too much of your time!

I only thought to change one color on the materials tab, did you just play with it a while or something? :confused:

Anyway, thanks!

I’ll take a look at this and try to replicate it.

EDIT2: Oh, and did you use GIMP or something to convert the frames to GIF?

I had some time to kill.

If you want to change the nucleus colours, you’ll need to look at the colour ramp tab in the materials buttons. I used ramps to make the brighter-around-the-edges look.

Frames from AVI to GIF in Microsoft Gif Animator.

Cool thanks.

I guess I’ll have to read up on materials cause I have no clue what the color ramp thing does. :o

I figured I’d bump rather than make a new thread…:o

I was wondering if there was any way to have light emitted by the object itself, and to have that light pulsate?

Thanks

LC

2 ways actually - Parent a light to it, or turn the emmitter value up int he shader and render with radiosity.