[WIP]Bevel after Boolean

I will try to improve both versions. The version with the old (0.0.9 -0.1.3) algorithm and the new algorithm.
Perhaps this will lead many to confusion.

4 Likes

You can change for a while the names of the two versions (you can give to the new version a slightly different name) … so the confusion can be avoided. Someone can install both of them and use them as different add-ons.

I think to combine 2 algorithms in one add-on with the ability to choose an algorithm

7 Likes

That sounds terrific Rodinkov_Ilya.

Is the latest one 0.1.7.1 or 0.1.2 ?
Maybe should add it to the top as Latest

@SPYNeox
This is currently a test version.
I will try to make the next version more stable and then add it to the header.

1 Like

it gets better and better !

Ah yar I accidently tried to use 0.1.7.1 and well doesnt work for me lol

The 0.1.2 does work

A new version (Errors are possible):

• Choice of method (Pipe - old method, Custom pipe - new method)
  • When choosing the old method, most often have to add smooth
  • Added check for self-intersection.
  • Tried to improve stability.
    bab_v_0_1_8.py.zip (4.6 KB)

There are a couple of new ideas.
I will experiment and write the results later.

8 Likes

At the moment I do not know how to implement my idea.
I will try to describe the algorithm.

Have intersection edges.

Finding the center of the edges (E-> S0)
Recalculate the normals.

Create circles parallel edges (which are connected in the center)

And connect them to the pipe

It seems to me that this method can allow to create a pipe without self-intersection (since they can intersect only in the center)
An example is shown on a simple object, but I tried partially on complex ones (on which current methods do not work) and this should work.

2 Likes

The latest version doesn’t show up in Blender (2.79b), and finding the operator through search gives this error:
"Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\bab_v_0_1_8.py”, line 83, in invoke
self.operation = src_obj.modifiers[len(src_obj.modifiers) - 1].operation
IndexError: bpy_prop_collection[-1]: out of range.

"

Does this happen on any objects?
It may occur due to the lack of boolean

I don’t want to take away from your amazing work Ilya, just wanted to let you know I’ve done a similar tool, but based on an edge selection. I think I can make it work with non-cyclic selections as well(see image) I took a peak at an ealier version of BaB and found the shrinkwrap use very clever. Nicely done!

I’m gonna re-implement it all in bmesh next, including custom curve mesh generation and without relying on mods.
This way I can directly associate curve mesh ring verts, with the verts on the hard edges they get merged onto and avoid proximity overlaps in tight corners.

I’m happy to share the code or put it on github of course.
I think I could help you with your problem above as well. I will be busy with porting DM and MM to 2.80 first though.

Awesome work on BaB!

5 Likes

I had assumed the addon added the boolean itself, but… the title couldn’t have been clearer :blush:

Maybe you should add a popup message when a boolean modifier is not detected. I have seen this same error posted several times now.

@MACHIN3
Unfortunately I do not know English.
I am using automatic translation. Therefore, I do not quite understand you.
I think that different tools with different approaches will be useful.
@AFWS
In 0.1.8 already have a boolean check.
In theory, even the ‘bevel’ button should not appear.

I haven’t tested the 0.1.8 version yet. Doesn’t look like it checks when searching for the operator.

Илья, он говорит, что делает похожий инструмент, только его инструмент работает по выбранным эйджам, вкратце. А в дальнейшем он разработает патч, с какими то функциями, которые выложит на github. В общем, тем самым, он может помочь тебе с твоей проблемой или разработкой
Ну ты наверно знаешь, он делает платный аддон, у него есть похожие функции, как у твоего аддона

1 Like

I experimented a little bit with the 0.1.8 version. As it seems it has a better efficiency in producing larger bevelings (and also cross bevelings) but in some cases it produces problems with the normals. It is better as to this issue too, in comparison to 0.1.7, but it still has some problems.

Also, it would be good to have back the ‘slice’ option. It is a very important tool.

1 Like

Ilya can you check the condition below please? I tried it many times and it was all in vain. There is a problem in such cases as it seems: