WIP Flatbed Trailer

UPDATE: Added a little more detail. Added mudgaurds, winding handle & air/electrical line connections.

Hi everyone, I’m new here and thought I’d post a WIP from a model I started yesterday.

I’ve been using Blender for about a month-ish now, I done the usual tutorials via youtube etc and I’ve created one or two small models on my own. This is my first project of this scale and honestly I’m starting to doubt my ability now lol. I feel like I might of over estimated my ability. The more detail I get the more I’m dreading unwrapping, texturing, normal maps etc etc :open_mouth: :weary:

2 Likes

First, get the model absolutely right, using real-world references. For example, on a real semi-trailer there are two sets of (two …) tires, and the tires are much smaller than you show here. (And, don’t forget the axles!) The front of the trailer when parked is supported by two posts. There is a “king-pin” assembly on the front.

Such models are usually composed of several distinct objects, “grouped” into one thing.

Don’t “doubt your ability” – it just takes patience and time. Then, simply tackle each head-bang moment one at a time. :slight_smile:

There is usually “more than one way to do it.” Plus, “beware of the Land of Diminishing Returns.” Make your model as good – "good enough" – as it needs to be, from the camera angles from which it will be seen, for the purposes of the project for which you built it. Then, save it and move on.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

I do have a kingpin in there the angle doesn’t show it. What posts are you refering to? you mean the landing legs towards the front?

I’ve been a truck driver for 7 years, driving all over the UK. There are many types of wheel configurations. This is the most common where I’m from. See the image below for reference, thats one of the trucks I drive.

That trailer is 4.75 meters tall. The white stripe running down the side is between stomach and chest height on me. The tyres are slightly below waist height. If I were to stand in-front of this truck my head would be within the merc badge on the grill and I’m 5’11"

Thanks again for your input

EDIT: Here is another angle, the bed of this trailer is roughly chest height.

1 Like

Done a bit more, not an awful lot.

I updated the rear & chassis. I also done some work on the landing legs. got a lot more to do still.

… Just realised I only have one leg rendered :rofl:

1 Like

It looks great. Now time to rig and animate it. Check out this tutorial https://gachoki.com/how-to-rig-and-animate-a-semi-trailer-truck-in-blender-2-83-in-8-minutes/

You came along at the right time for me!

I was just modelling a truck flat-bed trailer for a game asset and couldn’t find adequate images of the back end. Your model images will do perfectly!

Very nice for a first start!

Most welcome