WIP -- Game Character -- Male

hi,

The last couple of weekends, I’ve been working on my first serious attempt at modeling a low poly game character. Still have some work to do on it. I need to add boots, eyebrows and rig it.

I used Make Human to create a high poly model and then used Blender’s Retopo to make the low poly version. The skin texture is from the Make Human model. The jeans and t-shirt are photos of clothes from my closet.

Clark

Attachments

If this is just a model (and not a full-on game project) I think this would have been better served in the modeling forum. But I’ll leave that up to a mod to decide.

In terms of the model, it looks like you’ve got a pretty solid base, I can’t see any unnecessary faces right away- but it’s hard to critique much without seeing wires, as topology is very important especially for armature deforming.

the model looks nice . what is the polycount? and btw that is a very tight (gay) t-shirt.

hi,

@ Captain Oblivion: Thanks

@ Josip Kladaric: Right now, it has 1732 faces. I agree that the t-shirt (and jeans) are tight. I’m trying to create a generic model that I can use as a starting point. That way, I’ll just have to model a new head and modify the generic body to create a new game character. Or at least, that’s the way I hope it’s going to work.:yes:

Clark

Yes, I wouldn’t make the shirt so tight. Can we see some screen shots of the wire frame?

1732 is not too much but i am sure you can reduce the number.

If you want to have a base it’s best to just have him naked. Then model the specific clothes over it.

What I do is I make a basic clothes shape over the model and then sculpt in folds and details at a higher level using multires. Then model a low poly over that and bake your normals. these vids are an example

Here is the base model:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gag6OHMcsYU

And here he is with low poly clothes over him. i havn’t deleted the underlieing faces yet

hi,

@ Mad Hatteur. Here’s a screenshot of the wireframe.

@ Josip Kladaric. Because it’s the main character, my goal is 1,500 verts but I’ll be happy with anything under 2,000.

@ Rorkimaru. I took a look at those videos. I like the way you did that. The clothes look really good. I’m going with a different approach for clothes but I might have to rethink it. Your way might be easier.

Clark

Attachments

army troop army troop :D, also i think he needs some defined facial features

Your model looks nice, the distibution of vertices makes sense and I guess the deformation will look ok. If not you can still add in a few loops at the elbow or knee…

It also looks like you do a parallel tutorial for your awesome blender site? I really dig your ressources, it helps me a lot and I use it all the time :cool:

hi,

@ valek27: Ever played Brute Force on the XBox? The special forces guy Tex is the look I’ll be going for after I get the generic base model done.

@ zapman: Thanks. It’s nice of you to say that. Once the model is finished and rigged, I’ll be offering it as a download on my site. He’ll be a Special Forces guy like Tex in Brute Force. (Chest armor. Combat boots. etc.) He’ll have a walk cycle (and maybe a run cycle).

Clark