WIP - Glacial Airships (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

This is a placeholder, I don’t actually have anything yet, but I’m super pumped about this contest so I wanted to get a foot in the door :slight_smile:

11 Likes

All right, here’s my actual plan :smiley:
I’m going to re-imagine the 3.2 splash screen by Oksana Dobrovolska.

I was considering changing it to be more of a horror piece, changing the atmosphere and adding a monstrous creature lurking beneath the surface. I’m still going to change the atmosphere, but in a more optimistic direction, since I enjoy working on happy things :slight_smile: I’m going to imagine this scene as it would look in a different time, place, and universe- specifically, with airships and zeppelins instead of boats.

I’m going to play around with style, I’m going to go for a hand-painted look.

It’s going to take a lot of finagling to get it into Sketchfab, which will probably be the biggest challenge.

I’m probably going to keep the glaciers - and the overall vibe - but redo everything else.

I’ll be uploading more details later today

4 Likes

This splash is one of my favorite, I am looking forward to seeing its remix! And I see where that initial idea was coming from… when 3.2 came out, I was somehow reminded of Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness

2 Likes

My first thought was a blood red sky with a horrible squid-esque thing under the water, which I would really love to see someone else do, but I just know myself well enough to know that horror isn’t my genre and so I wouldn’t do the idea justice :slight_smile:

This actually works out really well for me, I’m using it as an opportunity to do some world-building creative thinking for a massive project I’m working on that will need a similar scene of glaciers and airships. My hope is that my final result will be good concept art for me later

3 Likes

Hey, I can’t find you on Sketchfab – you have an acct yet? I wanna follow you there, so please post a link. :link:

1 Like

I don’t - I’ll make one. I need to work on this. Truth be told… seeing how amazing everyone else’s are so far has been really overwhelming, I’m struggling with a heavy dose of impostor syndrome

2 Likes

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

Just checking in, as we’re nearing the finish line! Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!