[Completed] WIP: Her Ancestor (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

And finally, the end

The time has come to wrap this project up. I have added a few last assets, thanks to the helpful feedback above, polished everything and written a series of annotations. But let me recap what this project is meant to be, as I believe some things might have shifted in the making of it…

What happens if you take a scifi scene and set it in another time? Does its essence change? I believe it doesn’t. Whenever or wherever humans exist, their joy and their struggle is the same. Their actions are universal, their words speak to all ages and times. And so I’ve worked to bring this belief to life, creating what I imagined to be the shop of the ancestor of the original splash’ main character. I have set the scene in an era roughly based on Greco-Roman culture.

In doing so, I’ve remade every asset, with the exclusion of the girl’s body mesh, the closet mesh, and the girl’s iris texture. When working on each asset, I’ve always tried to be historically coherent and, when I have transgressed the limits of historical accuracy, I’ve done so in the name of the quality of the artistic creation. Researching the history of what I create, for me, isn’t just for inspiration: it is to find coherency and meaningfulness in what I create. And, to be fair, it’s fun :slight_smile:

The license of the project is CC-BY, same as the original splash. The original artwork was created by Alex Treviño using a concept by Anaïs Maamar.

You can find details about the creative process in the posts above. But, since this is the end, I want to thank all those who participated in this topic with their comments, feedback, thoughtful answers and encouragement. You made this process much more fun! I’d also like to thank all and wish the best of luck to every participant. You’ve contributed to creating a great positive and creative atmosphere.

Finally, the blend file I have used for creating this project is available for download. Feel free to check it out :slight_smile:

Until the 15th, I might still eventually update the Sketchfab file, so don’t mind any change… but this should be it. Here are a few still renderers from Sketchfab’s screenshot tool:

And one EEVEE shot:

20 Likes