WIP Nissan 350z High Poly Attempt

Hi,

This is my first attempt at making a high poly car so I don’t know how well it will come out. the modeling time so far has been very minimal (under an hour) but it is coming along :slight_smile: Of course, since I am not an adequate modeler (coming from a programming background, I lack the artistic sense that all of you guys have :no:), the model is not very impressive, but either way, here is what I have so far. The far left is the wireframe mesh without subsurf, middle is wireframe with subsurf, and the right is the solid mesh with subsurf. Critique is welcome :evilgrin: Thanks!

Attachments

so far so good. you make lack the skills but so far that car looks exactly like a modeler made it… :stuck_out_tongue: and if you can understand multidimensional array manipulation, you’ll far enough down the esoteric thinking that needs to happen for any decent art piece…

i would probably suggest cutting the model at the doors, bonnet, boot and windows - unless its a game model, i dont see any reason to battle with one continuous mesh - a real car is thousands of seperate pieces after all. last time i made a car i found that useful for keeping the flow nicer aswell.

so far looks awesome!! as for lack of artistic talent … there is no such thing… it just takes practice, and alot of reference material - which brings me to attention to detail scrutinize everything!! all the lines shapes, concaves curves etc etc etc you are well on your way :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm… yeah, I was thinking about that, but i was hoping to do that at the end so that the seams are cleaner. Do you recommend I do that now or later on? Thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks for the encouraging words :stuck_out_tongue: I have been working with Blender for about a year now, and I have come to love it. However, I have primarily just worked on making small test projects to learn the many features of Blender, so I never really got much into working on actual projects :no:

It’s looking decent. He’s right though, it would probably save you alot of pain later if you made separate little pieces. And watch out for triangles in weird places, I don’t think Blender likes triangles.

Yeah, I have been trying to avoid those triangles… Although I think I have about 2 or 3 of them in this mesh… :frowning:

I would cut the mesh up as you move around from now on… you can get rid of crinkles in adjoining by with various tools and but thats generally easier than sorting out very heavy meshes - at least thats always been my experience. im not a sculptor though, so theres probably different tools to fix those aswell

About the lack of artistic talent - LET GO of that thought - it just might be your brake. Unleash your power :wink: And about your background - it requires creativity as well so don’t you worry about that, plus it might very well help you :slight_smile:

As for the model - 1st what coryalantaylor said, and I guess that’s all :slight_smile:
Otherwise it looks pretty neat :slight_smile:

I haven’t had a chance to work on this in a while, but I am thinking it would probably be best for me to restart this model from scratch so that I can have a cleaner mesh, and take all your suggestions into consideration from the start. Also, I think this time I will post updates right from the start :slight_smile:

its a big decision to restart a model, but if you take on board all the things you’ve learnt on the first one, the better one is always better, and much much faster

Yeah, and what I have up there only took an hour anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

cool model :smiley:

Got the blueprints set up in the new blend file :slight_smile:

Attachments

I got my blueprints off of the-blueprints, but do you guys know of anyplace where I could get my hands on the real blueprints of the car, or maybe some better ones? these aren’t very detailed and are hard to work off of…

if I recall, most of those references are taken from service manuals. I suggest working from photos, since you’ve already got the basic shape down

Hmmm… yeah… i also like yahoo’s car guide… has a lot of good pictures :slight_smile:

Right now, i am trying to deal with 5 major arm injuries that may result in several surgeries… so… I am not focusing on Blender… :no:

hi kotakotakota
nice to see you make a wonderfull car…It is my favourite :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m doing the same car in Blender. So we have the same WIP :stuck_out_tongue:
Go to: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139715 and see my 350z.
When I start put here the pictures I already had made very progress…
Coment please and Keep the good work :stuck_out_tongue:

wow, this is looking great