WIP Stylized hand painted Shield

Hey everyone!

I’m really putting a lot of effort into learning hand painted textures. I’m beginning to realize how much of an understanding of light direction comes into play with these kind of textures. I’m really looking for some helpful hints, tips, maybe direction to a tut for quality hand painted textures if you got em! :slight_smile:
(also I only have the bolts On one corner of the shield at the moment)

Anyway, here’s what I’m working on, it’s a simple low poly shield, The UV’s arn’t laid out perfect I know, but what do you think so far? I’m going for a league of legends, world of warcraft kind look.

UPDATE
Added some shading and changed the design, I know the cross isn’t very crisp, mostly focusing on lighting. let me know what you think!

I know I’m being impatient here but bump! x)

I figured there’d be at least one guy out there ready to tear into my texture work haha. And if you think it sucks feel free to let me know, that’s why it’s here, I’m interested in anything you want to say about it! :smiley:

Well, if I were you I’d model a detailed version of the shield, maybe even sculpt it. Retopo it for the lowpoly and bake normals and AO from the highpoly. Then use the AO map as a guide for the texturing, that way you’d get the illusion of depth into the texture without having to paint it manually from scratch.

Ben, Thank you that’s a great idea! I totally didn’t think of that, I’m gonna get on that right away, I’ll post a pic when I get some work done, thanks!