[WIP] Sverchok, parametric nodes for architects

add-ons

(zeffii) #2061

We have Wifi Nodes which admittedly I’ve never used. I just looked at their code. Unfortunately they only work within a single node tree, to make them work across trees requires modifications to the node and the update-system. (Not my node… and not a feature i’m comfortable breaking)

If you are just doing this for Volume, then let me suggest BMesh Viewer to output proper meshes in one Tree (A), and use objects In ( or objects in Lite) in another Tree (B) to load the data, then turn off processing in the Tree A.

(zeffii) #2062

in the submenu “BPY Data” there’s a Node Remote (Control) node, which can send data from sverchok to almost any SV NodeTree (and other nodetree types too depending on how they work) - I think it would take only a small modification to make a Node Remote (Receiver) with similar dropdowns for selecting tree/node/socket.

(Hickz) #2063

Well hello there, good people :>
I’d like to ask, if you allow me, where’s the best place to get started with sverchok? I’m using blender for jewelry design and feel comfortable with it (switched to blender from Rhino, although i still use it from time to time). I know sverchok roots from grasshopper, and i know jewelry modellers use it for some of their pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZV3u7KaW0 - this was made in GH with a custom node as far as i can see (i don’t have any experience with GH either)
Is it possible to produce these type of cutters in SV(or something similar)? I would really love to do all the work in Blender without switching and i don’t know if SV is capable of something like that (yeah, i do understand that rhino/GH are NURBS based)
I’m deciding as to whether SV is gonna be a good asset for my needs or should i not expect it to perform as GH in abovementioned environment (jewelry)?
I hope i’m not giving the impression that i’m mean or anything, SV seems to be hell of a cool add-on, i’d just like to know how it copes with my needs

(zeffii) #2064

HI @hickz, if you don’t have any GH experience there’s no pre-existing assumptions about how SV (sverchok) might work. A lot of what GH can do SV can do, and just like GH we can write custom nodes to extend the tool (in ways that side step a lot of what i’m about to say) . Yep, there’s no NURBS support in SV because it’s weakly implemented in Blender’s bpy API (putting it kindly). This means we do everything in SV operating on verts/edges/faces and matrices. It helps to be comfortable with that kind of polygon based “box modeling”.

There are things that are much slower in SV than Blender; Boolean Operations being one of the main stars. For instance if you hoped to use SV as a “subtractive tool” (meaning you make the basic shape manually, and import it into SV for modification…), that’s probably not going to be a very smooth experience. I’ve seen people battle forever trying to use Sverchok that way, and they don’t really progress.

But, if there’s a subtractive approach, then there’s also an “additive” approach. Additive means you have all the ingredients and you add them together carefully to achieve a blend of math / logic / aesthetics. Node Trees without the “Object In” node are generally additive, because they get constructed from something inside Sverchok.

Where to start? It really depends what level of math you are comfortable with. It also depends on how well you understand programming and specifically Python/ (and optionally numpy). Most of our nodes are plain python, and are not written for dealing with massive amounts of geometry and don’t utilize multi-threading (which would make some operations really fast…). The faster nodes that use Numpy don’t make up a substantial part of the tool set, making their presence only useful in specific situations.

Sverchok can do a lot, i’d need to curb your expectation of what you will be able to achieve without real “blood sweat and tears”.

(zeffii) #2065

I think a lot of what’s done in that video, doesn’t have a direct analogue in Sverchok - But the end result can be achieved without too much pain if you have good command of Blender and use Sverchok to top it off.

(nikitron) #2066

for jewelry it is usefull profile node, you can handle with video

(Hickz) #2067

Thanks for answering, i guess i catch your meaning. I’m okay with math, but i haven’t had the chance to dig deep into programming, is it really that necessary to use Sverchok? Although i can’t imagine jewelry modeling without loads of boolean operations involved :smiley:
With Rhino t-splines plugin killed by Autodesk not so long ago(and it wasn’t THAT great as a poly modeller to start with, it immensely lacks on the toolset, that’s why i switched to Blender and rarely use Rhino nowadays), Rhino has no decent SubD module and version 6 won’t bring one as the devs say.

(Hickz) #2068

Спасибо, обязательно внимательно просмотрю. С чего начать не знаю даже, глаза разбегаются на вашем сайте :d Похоже я слишком привык к структурированному обучению новому софту. Будем пытаться!

(IvanMalek) #2069

found the culprit. for a scripting tutorial, I disabled blender’s bundled version of python for it to fall back to system level python, where I installed a newer version. After re-enabling bundled python, sverchok was installed successfully

(zeffii) #2070

@Hickz

> programming, is it really that necessary to use Sverchok?

For superficial usage you will not need to know how a node works internally. Many nodes have documentation and can be considered “black boxes” where you only need to understand what the input needs to be to get an expected output. I have contributed many nodes to Sverchok because there’s a point where the node tree gets complicated unless I write a custom node / script node. In that sense I find it essential to be able to solve my problems with new code where existing nodes don’t offer optimal options.

In the end Sverchok is reasonably ‘agnostic’ to what you’re trying to do. Those users who manage to find time to learn Python tend to have more options to solve problems. Visual Programming with nodes is no easier than writing scripts, the limitations of purely node based programming are caused by how big the pool of existing nodes is and how well they let you do high level and low level operations. Visual Programming with nodes is great for gluing together high level operators (like a modifier stack), but as the user tries to do more low level “algorithm design” using the most basic building blocks you end up with “spaghetti junction” (We offer a way to abstract away complicated low level node structures using Monads (Node Groups) … but it’s still a bit messy for the most complex situations )

I don’t mean to put you off, I think we offer solid support for new users on the github issue tracker. If you know what you want and can draw it (pictures > words), it can be achieved through some melange of Blender and SV (just like Rhino and GH compliment eachother).

(Hickz) #2071

@zeffii

Okay then, thanks alot. I suppose it really wouldn’t hurt abit to start, shall do that right away. What also interests me is the ability to create custom array of objects (gemstones) on a curve without their deformation (i know you can do that with duplifaces/verts/frames, but it shall only be 1 size per 1 dupliface and u can’t rely on that scale option). For example, a line of stones: 3x1mm, 2x1.3mm, 2x1.5mm.

(randum) #2072

Hickz
Something like that?
Gif

(Hickz) #2073

yah, exactly, but can u actually control the size of the objects?
something like this:

you see how it gradually progresses, the image shows gems between 2 curves, but it still explains the situation. You have to be able to control the size of gemstones, i mean the gem can’t be 1.26mm for example, they’re mostly done in 0.1 increments (1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3…)

(randum) #2074

Hickz
Yes it is possible.Gif
In Sverchek you must search another way to receive available result.

Просто скопировать с Гресхопера не получиться. В сверчке другие инструменты, но на основе их можно попробовать получить что то подобное.
Я уже представил как это теоретически можно бы было сделать. Две спирали образуют что то наподобие ДНК. Соединения между спиралями будут отвечать за расположение камней их поворот и размер.

(Hickz) #2075

Я не ищу способа перенести с ГХ, просто пример показать, первое, что попалось на вид подходящее. Будем разбираться

(zeffii) #2076

for scaling in increments : see this issue in the issue tracker ( i prefer to use github to respond to questions )

(Hickz) #2077

sure thing, but is it okay that i put images and questions here? or do i have to post em somewhere on github?

(zeffii) #2078

@hickz, github is handier you can just drag images into posts, and readers don’t need to be logged in to view them (i like to not be logged in)

(Ko.) #2079

There going another GSOC about vertex color painting, so peerhups someone want to try Sverchok way to do things with vertex colors.

Here use of two different vertex group weights as red and green components of vertex color layer:

(Benny G) #2080

How can i randomize the length or the size from the spikey points ?

Attachments

mask spikey.blend (791 KB)