[Finished] - Jellys arrive at Cookie Base 2.77 Splash (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

Final submission:

From the beginning I wanted to make a scene where you could move around and see different things, so you can move around and see what the cookies are doing in their Base.
In the process I changed some things from the original concept, one of these was the “monster” or “the zombie”, in the end this ended up being a smaller and more adorable surprise! (for our characters not so much)
It was a very nice job to do, I learned a lot about Substance painter (using the vertex colors to make masks was very, very useful!) I have improved doing retopoligy, one of my favorites in this project was the lollipop (the one with the spiral shape), after baking it looks very good using only few polygons.
One of the most challenging things was the expressions of the characters, it’s one of the reasons it took me until the end to do, but I’m happy with the result.

It was a very interesting and stimulating contest for the community.

Thank you! and good luck to everyone :slight_smile:

Story:

Their world is now much more dangerous place and they are looking for a better place to live, they had heard of a very prosperous cookie base with a large mill that you could see in the distance, it had been a while since their friend the blue lollipop had gone in search for this base. So one day they decided to take the risk too, they got in the car and left! while they were in the car they were photographed, the photo would later be known as “Blender 2.77 Splash Screen”

However, due to the chaotic terrain they crashed (don’t worry, they’re fine), now they have to keep walking, in the distance they see the mill they were told about, they’re very close, the base gates have opened… and it seems that his friend blue lollipop has succeeded! but they must run, there is something that is chasing them!! maybe he is a monster? a zombie? or maybe something smaller and more adorable like… a cat! he just wants to play? our characters don’t want to find out.

Software used: Blender and Substance painter

Cat’s material: https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/rvvBk/smart-fur-material

First post:

Hi, everybody! I chose the blender 2.77 splash screen, from Poked Studio. I started with Blender with this version (at the end of it actually) and I loved the art style. I have some ideas in my mind right now about the characters being pursuit by “something”. I have some references right now about that thing, but its not completly clear, so for now i’ll start making the retopology of some props of the .blend file, those meshes are kinda heavy for Sketchfab so lets start! good luck to everybody! :grinning:

3 Likes

Are you this SSantiago on Sketchfab?

Hehe yes, that is just a test that i made some years ago :sweat_smile: i like to see models in sketchfab but i dont upload my artworks there but in Artstation, if you are interested: https://www.artstation.com/ssantiagovg

But is that the Sketchfab account you’ll be uploading your Challenge entry to?

Yes! that is the account

1 Like

Finally an update! :sweat_smile: I’ve been thinking about the idea, I’ll change it a bit, but anyway these guys are in trouble! The world is becoming a dangerous place, but they have heard from a base of survivors… after driving around for a while, they have finally found it! unfortunately there were many dangers around and a mountainous terrain, so their car crashed into a tree, (but they are fine) now they need to run, the inhabitants have realized that new survivors have arrived and they open their gates, but they have to be fast! there are monsters around!

I made a very simple concept art to explain the plan, maybe some things will end up changing, but this is the idea, a diorama. I am concerned about some technical issues, I may have to make the diorama smaller and not cover as much ground. We’ll see!

I’ve also been doing some props, I hope to organize them and upload an update soon. :smiley:

Hey! i’m back with updates! :smiley:

I’ve struggled with baking from high poly to low poly, I’ve had to repeat several times, but finally I think I’ve got it, i was worry about the poly count but now with these props i think i’ll be fine, what do you think?. There are still props to do, but in the meanwhile I can put these on the scene. I’m using Blender to make the 3d models and Substance painter for baking and materials

So, this is the high poly on the left, and the low poly on the right, then the low poly baked with textures.

This ice cream gave me a lot of problems, especially the shape of the tip was problematic in the bake, I was also worried that I had lowered too many polys, as you can see in the solid view, but after baking I think that looks good :sweat_smile:

This sweet in my country is known as “Barquillo” is very tasty! it was fun to do, using blender’s “simple deform” modifier. Also, left is high poly, right is low poly.

As I said in the concept art, I’m thinking of using some waffles for the walls! so I made this delicious waffle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m still not convinced by the material, I have to keep trying

This is a simple one, known in my country as a “Colombina”, I will make variations in the albedo to use different colors

The lollipop, this one was interesting to do, it’s basically a spiral, then you replicate the spiral by rotating 180°, The challenging part was modifying the endings, because it ended up deforming the circular shape, after trying a couple of times, this is the result

A simple marshmallow, I’m still thinking about the material, do you think it looks like a marshmallow?

This was one of the first ones I did, I was based on the cone of the original scene, but I didn’t like the lines, so I made my own, but this wasn’t so easy! Using a wireframe modifier looks simple but it looks very straight, so you use a subdivision but… if you do that it’s going to look bad, because it’s going to smooth everything out and you don’t want that, so I applied the subdivision before the wireframe modifier, but this creates a lot of subdivisions so it was a tedious process of deleting between lines, but after baking it looks like this

This is one of the characters, there will be several like him! what dou you think about him?

I also made the gummy candy that I told you about in the concept art, but I’m having problems with the material. I made a few attempts but I don’t like it, what do u think?

Any feedback will be helpful, thanks!

2 Likes

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

1 Like

New update!

I have been working on new props, organizing the scene and replacing the blocking, i think I have made good progress but I am scared of time, because there are still things missing and there is not much time, the good news is that the meshes I am doing are optimized and I’m testing all this in eevee, so I hope I don’t have too many problems uploading it to Sketchfab (I hope so)

I changed the flag tower for a windmill, I think it’s much better, and it makes more sense for a community of survivors, I also discarded the idea of making the car, I think it’s not necessary and It would take me a lot of time (because I was thinking of redesigning it, but even if I wanted to do it with the current design it would take a lot of time to optimize it)

By the way, does anyone know how to change the preview here in Blenderartists? I read that you had to click on the icon of a pencil (I think) but this icon does not appear anywhere on this page for me.

Any feedback will be helpful, thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

IDK, but I wouldn’t worry; the preview on Sketchfab will have you covered. Speaking of which, Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

This is looking delicious!

1 Like

Hey! I have some screenshots for you!
I already have the terrain and the mountains, the paths are made with texture (baked, using vertex colors), the design of the mill is much clearer now, although there are some parts left to do. By the way, what do you think of that well? :sweat_smile:

Does anyone know if exporting to Sketchfab with instanced objects is helpful?

Thanks! I know there’s not much time left but I think I’ll make it! :smiley:

PD: I still don’t know how to update my thumbnail here in BlenderArtists

I upgraded your user level - the easiest way to do it is to go to your first post and add the thumbnail as your first image.

1 Like

Hey! Updatees!

Most of the things are done, the characters, scenery, what worries me now is that I have uploaded it to Sketchfab and the colors have changed, I understand that I am not using the same HDRI as in eevee, but this should not be so different, I don’t know.

These first images are from Eevee, at the end I make the comparison in Sketchfab of the same part. Ignore the rest of the textures for now, see how the chocolate, ice cream cone and road all look a different color, I’ve tried adjusting Sketchfab’s settings for the color, and managed to make it look a bit more like it, but I would still like to achieve a more similar result. :frowning:

Eevee:

Sketchfab: Jellys arrive at Cookie Base #bcon22challenge - 3D model by Santiago Gonzalez (@ssantiago) [24f85b5] - Sketchfab

By the way, is it normal to have to upload the textures manually?

Thank you

1 Like

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

1 Like

Final update!

From the beginning I wanted to make a scene where you could move around and see different things, so you can move around and see what the cookies are doing in their Base.
In the process I changed some things from the original concept, one of these was the “monster” or “the zombie”, in the end this ended up being a smaller and more adorable surprise! (for our characters not so much)
It was a very nice job to do, I learned a lot about Substance painter (using the vertex colors to make masks was very, very useful!) I have improved doing retopoligy, one of my favorites in this project was the lollipop (the one with the spiral shape), after baking it looks very good using only few polygons.
One of the most challenging things was the expressions of the characters, it’s one of the reasons it took me until the end to do, but I’m happy with the result.

It was a very interesting and stimulating contest for the community.

Thank you! and good luck to everyone :slight_smile:

Story:

Their world is now much more dangerous place and they are looking for a better place to live, they had heard of a very prosperous cookie base with a large mill that you could see in the distance, it had been a while since their friend the blue lollipop had gone in search for this base. So one day they decided to take the risk too, they got in the car and left! while they were in the car they were photographed, the photo would later be known as “Blender 2.77 Splash Screen”

However, due to the chaotic terrain they crashed (don’t worry, they’re fine), now they have to keep walking, in the distance they see the mill they were told about, they’re very close, the base gates have opened… and it seems that his friend blue lollipop has succeeded! but they must run, there is something that is chasing them!! maybe he is a monster? a zombie? or maybe something smaller and more adorable like… a cat! he just wants to play? our characters don’t want to find out.

Sketchfab:

1 Like