WIP The Package: adventure game

Here’s a screenshot of an adventure game I’m working on. Very early and subject to change.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4492/screenshotfa1.th.jpg

Nice looking cool whats the game name “The Package”?

Yeah. It starts out more or less where the guy agrees to deliver a package and finds himself rescuing a kidnap victim. It takes place in 1946, that’s why the building and car look old.

thats cool, yea i noticed it must be set in an older time :smiley:

Nice screenshot, not too bad textures, pretty good vertices count too, although it looks like you could get rid of some of the car’s vertices, from what I can see, don’t take my advice until I see a wireframe though, hehe.

I could tell immediatly it would be in a older year because of the guy’s hat. You don’t see many people walking around now with one of those.

More screenshots would be appreciated, but don’t forget to take your time. :wink:

Hey, Fireside the theme very good good! I like the mood of 1946 :slight_smile: (mistery ,romance etc)

The game will be in 3rd persson like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango?
Nice work!

Good stuff. I like the mood. I think you’ve done a great job with the modelling and textures. Adventure is one of my favorite genres, so I’ll look forward to seeing more of it.

Very nice,

I’m interested to see how this will turn out, especially because you are developing under Linux.

I have no idea how you can deal with the framerate tearing though. I know you said something about setting the TicRate to 75, but I tried that (among other things) and I still get some tearing (significantly less though, but still there). Also things on Linux (even though choppy) do run generally faster, so you’ll probably have to tweak the windows version to keep things in sync.

I don’t know, no matter what I do I can’t get things to run as smooth as they do on windows. I really, really need some closure on this, because it’s driving me insane.

I also notice that on Linux the framerate constantly hops around in some very wide steps. On windows there seems to be a cap, and it never goes over 60, yet things are always soo smooth.

Who is in charge of the Linux version, and is there any way that I could contact them so that these issues can finally be solved? Or maybe you know a few tricks to get things working right, in which case I would really appreciate anything you could throw my way.

PS: Love the old times game style. Something original for a change. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments you guys. It’s encouraging.

Who is in charge of the Linux version, and is there any way that I could contact them so that these issues can finally be solved? Or maybe you know a few tricks to get things working right, in which case I would really appreciate anything you could throw my way.
There is really sort of one version that compiles on multiple platforms. Irwin is in charge, I think. It’s working good for me, but yeah, I’ll need to probably install Windows and do some modifications before I release. Dread the thought of that. I think I’ve mentioned that I can get it to compile but it crashes right now, but I have hopes that the next version of Ubuntu will work, it’s in beta now. So maybe I’ll eventually be able to play around with the source code. It would be nice to have someone working on the Linux end of things. I’m pretty sure the current developers are all working on windows-visual c++, so everything is getting tuned to that. Just have to wait and see. I want to spend most of my time working on my game, though. I think I have a slightly faster system than you so I’m not getting the tearing, etc. Actually, I’m now running a tic rate of 80, which is even better. I know on the nvidia settings there are more than one synch box and I checked them all. It works good for me. Unfortunately I also don’t get the game readouts that everyone else on the planet seems to be able to see even on Linux. It’s got to be some monitor glitch, but other than that everything works perfectly fine, so I just have to go by how I see things run. There isn’t much you can do other than play around with your graphics settings. You can adjust the tic rate with python but I don’t think that’s where the problem is. I don’t think that’s the tic rate your looking at. Maybe someone who knows can tell us what that number represents,exactly. I have a feeling there are three things going on. There is a frame rate that runs at around 25 frames per second which is used for IPO’s and actions, then there is the tic rate, which is used for physics logic, and there must be a third which is controlling the screen flip. That would be my guess anyway. So I think there is a wild screen flip going on and that’s what the readout is showing. Some people have said that the graphics were seperated from the physics, so I think that’s what they mean. Setting the tic rate higher probably indirectly smoothes it out by making it work harder. It’s all guess work on my part.

That’s looking pretty good, I like the main character. This looks very promising. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes.

Good luck to you fireside = )

This is an update on my game. I’ve got the object interaction pretty much worked out now. I’m using python dictionaries for scripting. This is my working world so it looks really boring but you can see the inventory system. The camera follows behind him until he gets near an object, then it switches to side view and the inventory bar comes up on the top of the screen.
http://img433.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen2dn4.jpg

hmm, to show fps and stuff go to:
game>>show framerate and profile
and:
game>>show debug properties

at least that works for mee…

it looks cool…

I have some kind of system glitch so that information doesn’t show up. It has good framerate on my computer, though. Runs smooth.

this looks like a cool game :slight_smile:

nice models :slight_smile:

This is the female in the game.

http://www.lifelogs.net/out.php/i18918_screenshot.jpg

looks really cool.

You need some more textures, but that’s the only real problem I see.

You need some more textures,  but that's the only real problem I see.

Yeah. This is a very simple working world where I work out interactions. I’ve got some really great buildings that a guy did for me so it’s going to look a lot better.

Looks good! The models heads look really big, but I assume this was part of the style. They also look like the have a tremendous amount of polygons…

The models heads look really big, but I assume this was part of the style. They also look like the have a tremendous amount of polygons…

Yeah, I don’t like realistic models. They look kind of creepy to me. The models average about 1200 faces. They blink and talk and most of those poly’s are in the head, probably about 700 at least.